• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm not good at building mid-range pcs! Help me build a gaming pc for $1000.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

One of my son's friends is looking to build a new gaming pc for about $1000. I've built plenty of computers over the years but it seems I can't build what I would call a mid-range pc. So far I'm at about $1000 US without a GPU. Not sure if I am just too used to building for overclocking or what but I can't seem to get to $1000. Since I'm assuming I will end up actually building (and maintaining) this thing I prefer to stick to Intel and nVidia at Newegg if possible and want it to still perform and look decent. Amazon will work too I guess.

Here is my list that is heading way over budget. I'm trying for a 3060 for the GPU because he won't be going over 1080P @60hz. I realize GPU stock is an issue but trying to avoid that problem with other parts if possible. He does not need a screen or peripherals.

Intel I5 10600 $246
ASUS Prime X490-A $214
G-Skill 2x8G DDR4 3200 Cas 14 $119
WD Blue 1TB M.2 2280 SSD $114
Windows 10 Home $109
Corsair CX 750 $84
Fractal Meshify C Black $89
Thermalright Venomous X $Free (I'll donate to the cause)

I appreciate the help.

Save yourself about $100 by purchasing a volume or OEM key from here: https://www.urcdkey.com/. Build a generic USB installer with the Microsoft Media Creation tool. You might need to resort to phone activation.

Another cost saver is with the RAM. CL14 RAM is more expensive than CL16 RAM and with Intel CPUs it hardly makes any difference from a performance perspectivr.

Third, I would go for a better quality 650 watt PSU. That should be plenty for one video card and is a foundational component that you don't want to cheap out on. Look at EVGA gold units.

Does he really need a 1TB SSD? Most gamers can get by on 500gb easy.

And if you are going to donate the case, why do you have the Meshify C listed in the parts list?

Unfortunately, most PC components are more expensive right now than I have seen in years. Due to a combination of COViD supply and demand issues as well as the current bit coin mining craze. Video cards are outrageous because of the latter.

Last edited:
Save yourself about $100 by purchasing a volume or OEM key from here: https://www.urcdkey.com/. Build a generic USB installer with the Microsoft Media Creation tool. You might need to resort to phone activation.

Another cost saver is with the RAM. CL14 RAM is more expensive than CL16 RAM and with Intel CPUs it hardly makes any difference from a performance perspectivr.

Third, I would go for a better quality 650 watt PSU. That should be plenty for one video card and is a foundational component that you don't want to cheap out on. Look at EVGA gold units.

Does he really need a 1TB SSD? Most gamers can get by on 500gb easy.

And if you are going to donate the case, why do you have the Meshify C listed in the parts list?

Unfortunately, most PC components are more expensive right now than I have seen in years. Due to a combination of COViD supply and demand issues as well as the current bit coin mining craze. Video cards are outrageous because of the latter.

Thanks for the info.

Good point on the drive but I think the 1tb fits for most younger gamers. I get by with my 500g but stick a couple games like Call of Duty, Fortnite and the like and the drive fills up fast. I know he plays those with my son so I'll have to see what others though. Might be able to save $40 there.

I'm donating the CPU cooler not the case.

You are right about prices for sure. Just silly what is going on right now. It seems they are willing to go to $1500 total so minus the graphics card I am now at about $921. Minus the GPU I think this really isn't a bad build that should run good for a while.

Intel I5 10500 $224
ASUS Prime X490-A $211
G-Skill 2x8G DDR4 3600 Cas 16 $94 (updated)
WD Blue 1TB M.2 2280 SSD $99
Windows 10 Home $109
Corsair CX 750 $94
Fractal Meshify C Black $89
Thermalright Venomous X $Free (I'll donate to the cause)

GPU will of course be an issue for a while but maybe my eVGA auto notify for the 3060 Ti will come through soon...Almost typed that without laughing.

CL18 on the RAM feels high... CL16/14 on that (if you can swing the additional cost). Performance won't be too much different, but CL18 is high for 3600.

Back