• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on building an Intel MicroATX build for coding work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just be aware you'll be throwing a lot of heat into that tiny ITX case. IMO you'd be better off with a Micro ATX setup.

Which exactly is batter Ryzen 7 5800 or Ryzen 5 5600 ?
As for the heat, I agree and looking for suggestions.
I am not about to give up on my mini ITX case so the solution is either find a proper cooling or buy a smaller CPU.

That depends... if you can utilize the extra cores/threads, then the 5800 would be better. Otherwise, the 5600 would be negligibly slower (look at stock clock speeds).

Btw what with AMD and NVMe support? Some manufacturers says they support NVMe while other doesn't.
Should I be worried?

Btw what with AMD and NVMe support? Some manufacturers says they support NVMe while other doesn't.
Should I be worried?
Da heck are you talking about? :D

AMD supports NVMe based M.2 drives and has done so for multiple gens. So do all of the boards.

At 6C/12T the 5600X runs cooler than the 8C/16T 5800X. For mini ITX builds I go with non-K Intel 65W CPUs since they run quiet and cool. The last mini ITX I built was with a 65W 6C/12T i5-9400 and before that one with a 65W 4C/8T i7-8700. The 8C/16T i7-10700 and 10C/20T i9-10900 are also 65W you just need a motherboard that will enforce the specified TDP.

I miss read an article for an old AMD cpu. before NVMe became a standard in every build.
I will take a look but the best bet for me is to go with AMD Ryzen 5 5600. as the mother board is much cheaper. But with out PCIe 4 support.
I highly doubt I will need to support PCIe 4 in the future.

Sorry, what motherboard are you getting that doesn't support PCIe 4.0? Regardless, I'd get B550 or X570...

The b450 I chose says in the specifications it doesn't. as it only supports PCIe 3.
I don't mind if it would. the mb. cost me around $100 new.

How much Watts will the system require. I am searching for SFX PSU and it is not an easy task.

The build:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
DDR 4 32G (16Gx2) 3200 V8 RGB HP
Samsung SSD 1.0TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
CoolerMaster MasterBox NR200P
Noctua NH-U9S chromax.black CPU Cooler
CoolerMaster 650W V650 SFX Gold Full Modular

I know this a little over kill for what I planned :attn: but the difference in price between low end CPU and higher end CPU is minimal so.. the hell with it.

What you all think?

So 15" x 11.5" x 7.3" is a fairly large mini ITX which you need for that huge Noctua HS/Fan. You certainly don't need all that space for your 1050 Ti GPU. I thought you were going for a smaller one when you were so focused on a mini ITX. Even so it's restricted to an SFX PSU which adds to the cost. My last two mini ITX builds were with a Cooler Master Elite 110, that was 10.3" x 8.2" x 11.1", and a SilverStone SG-05, that was 8.75" x 7" x 11". The Cooler Master Elite 110 could take either a regular ATX or SFX PSU. I used mini sized GTX 1660 Ti and GTX 1080 GPUs in them with the standard intel HS/Fan. Each probably cost half what your setup did.

It is the only black mini ITX case there is in the store, All others either too expensive (with RGB fans and controllers) Or just way too premium.
As I am looking for minimalistic build, the CM fits well into that profile. Later on I will add a decent GPU and it will suite all of my needs.
In general I was looking for a portable build, a PC that I could easily transport by car when needed.
Maybe the LIAN-LI PC-TU150 case could be a better solution but I disliked the design a bit.

As for other small form factor cases, I have slight fear of how well they will perform their cooling duties and the ability to install a variety of GPUs.
The later is a major issue, as the lack of GPU choices, drastically reduce the options which are available to me.

With that said I will pick the parts next week and will a make a video showing the end result.

I really appreciate your help and patience with all my questions.
I don't follow the gaming world of PCs for a long time now,
And when the needs comes and I need to upgrade and buy a new PC, I have no idea what's going on.
The RGB trend is new to me (a childish one) and the prices on RAM, GPU are just insane. GTX 3080 cost almost 1500$. Holy F%^.

I would suggest trying the included Wraith Stealth cooler before buying a secondary one. The AMD coolers are quite effective and quiet. The best part is they're free (included with CPU)

I agree that the stock cooler is more then enough for most applications and users.
Yet in my study room I have very high ambient temperatures and I rarely shut down my PC. and rarely clean it also.
So stock coolers fail to cool the system properly and gets loud as well.
My last AMD (FX 8350) was working non stop for about 10 years straight. I installed a Noctua NH-U14S cooler to handle the heat from the @ed CPU.
So I need a cooler that will be able to handle the heat, dust and duty while still being easy to clean and quite.
BTW I ordered the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black Edition instead if the Noctua.

What coolers do you use?

I wanted to buy a Corsair double rad water cooler but from my experience with they fail a lot and are pain in the as% to clean properly.

Thank you for your kind offer but I will have to pass on it :)
The CM 200P case is already on the way and it will suite me perfectly.

Back