• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATX PSU IN A LAPTOP/POWER BRICK STYLE.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiozaki

Building a eGPU dock and it needs its own psu, i want something a bit more tidy then having a full sized atx psu sitting behind my tv.

Do you need all of the voltage rails of a normal psu or would you just be using the 12v rail?

I'll just be powering a gpu, the dock itself takes power to bit not much.

I'll probably get a gtx970

I suggest waiting for a 1070. The 970 was awesome when it first came out and is still a very nice GPU, but it doesn't make sense to buy a new one.

HP 1U PSUs go for about $15 for a 750W unit, far more than what any GPU will ever use. (Or get a 1200W unit for $20 and have loads of power to run a nice subwoofer amplifier!) Some new GPUs don't use the 3.3V rail. If the 3.3V pins on your GPU don't go anywhere, you don't need to supply them. Otherwise, a small buck converter will do the trick.

I suggest waiting for a 1070. The 970 was awesome when it first came out and is still a very nice GPU, but it doesn't make sense to buy a new one.

HP 1U PSUs go for about $15 for a 750W unit, far more than what any GPU will ever use. (Or get a 1200W unit for $20 and have loads of power to run a nice subwoofer amplifier!) Some new GPUs don't use the 3.3V rail. If the 3.3V pins on your GPU don't go anywhere, you don't need to supply them. Otherwise, a small buck converter will do the trick.

Was probably going to pic up a used 970.

Back