• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Family Room TV - Need Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I'm looking to upgrade the TV in my family room.

The current TV is a 48" Phillips TV (1080p) that I got back in 2008.

It's a fabulous TV. Great picture. But...When I hit "guide" to see what's playing on TV, I find myself squinting to read the text.

no No NO...I don't need glasses...I need a bigger TV! :D

My normal routine to buy a new TV would be to go to the various places that sell TVs and just watch them for a while...looking for:

1.) Blackness of blacks
2.) How bright
3.) Uniformity of gray levels
4.) "Goodness" of picture for off angle viewing

The past TVs I have bought, believe it or not, where from Sam's club...as I found the best of the (4) above to be there.

Now we are in the Amazon era...and I have no problem ordering online. But, the reviews are...well...reviews...and I can't find reviews where everybody sees the same thing as important. For example: UHD? WTF is that? Is it important? YES - future proof it...NO - the standard isn't define...WTF?

So - I am asking for help from you guys! Here are my requirements:

1.) 55 Inches or larger
2.) 4K (why not?)
3.) Thin
4.) Has to have a base that's smaller than the TV (I think the ones with the base that's the same size or larger look dorky)
5.) Smart TV: Not required...I have my NVIDIA Shields...thank you.
---> If it is a Smart TV, it has to have a setting to default to "regular TV" when I turn it on (requirement from my wife)
6.) Budget: eh...under $4,000. I'll spend more if the reasoning is right...but I don't need to spend $4,000
7.) Decent sound. I watch my media library in Surround Sound...but needs to have decent sound for everyday use.
8.) Has to work with my Harmony 650 remote
9.) HDMI ARC compatible
10.) Can't have "high" input lag...just in case I want to game on it!

If you post a suggestion, I would like to know what your personal experience with it is. (Do you own one? Does a friend own one? You're part of the Best Buy Geek Squad. etc.)

Thanks in advance! :thup:

I used to have a Vizio, and maybe they've changed, but I would never buy one again. Want to know why? Google "vizio pop of death". Granted, this happened a few years ago, so, again, maybe they've changed.

Don't know if OP's bought a tv yet, but I'll say that if he wants good sound he should hook up an amp, speakers & a sub to his tv. You can put together a very good tv sound system for under $1k

Have one I've owned since '09 and the more recent, which I had issues with, but they fixed without question.

I used to have a Vizio, and maybe they've changed, but I would never buy one again. Want to know why? Google "vizio pop of death". Granted, this happened a few years ago, so, again, maybe they've changed.

Don't know if OP's bought a tv yet, but I'll say that if he wants good sound he should hook up an amp, speakers & a sub to his tv. You can put together a very good tv sound system for under $1k

Thanks - I have a very good surround sound system for my family room. We use it for movies (and any Sci-Fi TV show.) Other than that, we use the TV sound for "normal" shows.

Thanks - I have a very good surround sound system for my family room. We use it for movies (and any Sci-Fi TV show.) Other than that, we use the TV sound for "normal" shows.

Why don't you use the sound system whenever the tv is on? Is it doing double duty for something else? I notice even on "ordinary" shows the sub woofer enhances many scenes. About the only thing I wouldn't bother with, with a sound system would be for a panel discussion or C-SPAN.

Too loud when people are trying to sleep!

Plus, I don't want to listen to "The Real Housewives of Some Random City" in surround as my wife watched it! :D

Back