• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Private Email Provider

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Hi Everyone:

I haven't posted in awhile but I have a question and always ask this community for their thoughts.

I'm looking for a recommended private email. I want to know what you guys recommend. (Gals to). I want to get away from gmail, hotmail, icloud all of it. A paid services is fine but I am confused after researching all the offers on the internet. I don't know who to trust from a good company to a hack company.

Is their such a company that will tell the Gov to go to "H--L" if they demand a list of the subscribers?

I've heard of Mailfence, CSETMAIL, Regan.com, for a few.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm confused as to why you feel the need to keep your email address hidden from the government? Not that it's any of my business but I'm pretty sure the NSA has access to most anything transmitted in the US.

I'm confused as to why you feel the need to keep your email address hidden from the government? Not that it's any of my business but I'm pretty sure the NSA has access to most anything transmitted in the US.

Privacy. I'm not emailing anything bad but I like privacy. Gov has no business in my personal life. That said if you are correct, and I think you are, then I'll just keep gmail right?

That's kind of my thought on it. Keep a strong password and follow good security measures. TBH if it's going to be your daily e-mail address than you'll be sending it out to the masses anyhow. It's the access to your account that needs to be secure.

To my knowledge Apple is the only company to stand up to Uncle Sam so that gives a slight edge to Apple Mail for security, but who really knows?

That's kind of my thought on it. Keep a strong password and follow good security measures. TBH if it's going to be your daily e-mail address than you'll be sending it out to the masses anyhow. It's the access to your account that needs to be secure.

To my knowledge Apple is the only company to stand up to Uncle Sam so that gives a slight edge to Apple Mail for security, but who really knows?

Yea I was really impressed with Apple for doing that. So what is the point of a paid for email?

I suppose the point of it is to get support faster than a free account and possibly various hosting benefits or storage or something.

In the not too distant past, free email accounts were not considered "real" email accounts. There were places that required a private email address (ISP provided, mostly) for registration and online job applications.

It's a good thing that policy changed. As far as I can tell, Verizon Fios does not come with email service. No @verizon.com anymore either as Verizon moved their email service to AOL after the buy out. If you have a verizon.com email prior, it could be kept on the move over the AOL email servers.

So I'm stuck now with nothing more then a gmail and my own personal email server (which I have to now get a port redirector cause Verizon blocks outgoing port 25).

Btw, there were some paid encrypted email services, but they only provided encrypted email among its users. But they closed down cause the US gov was pressuring them to allow access, or else. So they chose just to shut down instead of giving in.

It's a good thing that policy changed. As far as I can tell, Verizon Fios does not come with email service. No @verizon.com anymore either as Verizon moved their email service to AOL after the buy out. If you have a verizon.com email prior, it could be kept on the move over the AOL email servers.

So I'm stuck now with nothing more then a gmail and my own personal email server (which I have to now get a port redirector cause Verizon blocks outgoing port 25).

Btw, there were some paid encrypted email services, but they only provided encrypted email among its users. But they closed down cause the US gov was pressuring them to allow access, or else. So they chose just to shut down instead of giving in.

That's my point. The Gov forcing to know peoples business. It really makes me angry.

- - - Updated - - -

So if a person was to get say a Reagan.com email what are they paying for?

I believe there are still services out there that have not been compromised by the NSA. SpiderOak used to be. But I believe the owner shut down their email service.

edit: actually I may have 2 services mixed together. But there was an email service in the news a couple of years back that shut down. The owner would rather have taken the servers offline then give some bully intelligence group a key.

Last edited:
you can spend some time and configure your own mail server :)

so, I could turn my pretty much worthless file storage box into my own e-mail server?, it's running windblows, would it work?

kinda sorta. You'd have to be careful as you will be running an outward facing server, which may be against your ISP's TOS. A lot of local ISPs have those ports blocked I believe to prevent spambots/etc from running locally as well.

Also, is it really necessary to say 'windblows'?

simple google search: https://www.google.com/#q=run+an+email+server+on+windows

Back