• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 6700k temps and voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KMarci

Hello!

I've been trying to OC my i7 6700k for the past days now. I have an Asus z170 Pro Gaming motherboard and a Noctua NH-D14 cooler among two 120mm case fans.
I'm trying to get a stable OC with 44 multiplier and 1.310 V set in the BIOS. I use HWiNFO to measure my Vcore and temperatures. With these settings my Vcore readings are much higher than the value I've set in the BIOS. It shows 1.328 V. Is it normal to have this much difference (Δ .18V) between the value set in the BIOS and the actual reading? Could this be a measuring problem or something like LLC overvolts my CPU? By the way how am I supposed to choose my LLC level? It's on auto now.

With these settings my core temps spikes up to 80°C (max) with 74°C average durning Realbench stress test. My ambient temperature is 24°C. Is this normal as well? I was expecting much lower values with this kind of cooler. Many people get better results with a Hyper 212. I suspected that my two case fans don't move enough air and this might cause it but even after removing the side of the case the max and average temperatures only dropped 1-2°C. I installed the cpu fans to pump air up (to the top of the case) in order to be able to insert my video card. I may install a fan over it later but for now a doubt this'd cause the problem since it I didn't get better results with an open sided case.

I use LLC on my ASUS Mobo at 5, not sure if it would be different at all for other ASUS mobos, and I'm at 4.6 Ghz @ 1.32ish volts so yeah that's kind of high, you could have gotten a bad chip. (Not malfunctioning bad, just silicon lottery)

Also make sure you've installed all drivers that come with the mobo because I left one out (Intel Management Interface Engine) that I thought (and everywhere said) that it was for remote desktop, but it was not and it actually had to do with my similar voltage issues (See: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/774851-6700k-amp-Maximus-8-Hero-Act-2)

Is 4.4ghz not stable at 1.328 volts? If so that's a pretty terrible chip, you got unlucky as hell.

Intel Management Interface Engine is for remote desktop. It is a PCH (Platform Controller Hub) driver that has nothing to do with motherboard voltage.

Intel Management Interface Engine is for remote desktop. It is a PCH (Platform Controller Hub) driver that has nothing to do with motherboard voltage.

Well, if you read that entire topic before my mobo was being ridiculous with voltages even on offset it would go WAY higher than anything I set, more extreme than what this guy is experiencing, sometimes up to 1.4v on STOCK. After installing the driver, it's fixed with identical settings in BIOS. EarthDog was spot on.

I don't have Intel Management Interface Engine installed on any of my PCs ever and I have no problems with voltage and overclocking. There must be something you did incorrect drivers don't defect voltage on a motherboard.

ASUS mobos are strange? Idk but whatever that driver is fixed it. I heard Windows 7 and Skylake doesn't get along? Maybe that driver fixed some incompatibility or something with power states? Who knows. Point is, it's better to be safe than sorry and for him to check if all his drivers are installed.

Last edited:

I don't have Intel Management Interface Engine installed on any of my PCs ever and I have no problems with voltage and overclocking. There must be something you did incorrect drivers don't defect voltage on a motherboard.
Its for well more than just that... we went over this before... well, I did with Cul... links in his thread.

Back