• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading motherboard without reinstalling OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TTP

Can anyone point me to a link that talks about how to upgrade a motherboard without reinstalling the OS? I'm running win98SE. I had read some older posts that indicated you can just delete a portion of the registry (?Enum?) and Win98SE would reinstall the hardware drivers without losing any of the applications and software settings. TIA.

Tony

If the motherboard you're upgrading to is similar from your old one (ie, going from KT133 to KT133a or KT266) you shouldn't run into too many problems. However, if the new mobo is completely different, you'd pro'lly be best to reformat.

Try looking in the device manager. Delete the lot, shut down and install new mobo. Let windows find all your hardware again.

David said:
Try looking in the device manager. Delete the lot, shut down and install new mobo. Let windows find all your hardware again.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

regardless of what you decide to do, be sure to back up your data because you never know what could happen..better safe than sorry, believe me...i know from numerous experiences :)

jeff

youre just curious or youre really planning to upgrade the mobo without making a clean installation of the OS?
:rolleyes:

oTTO said:
youre just curious or youre really planning to upgrade the mobo without making a clean installation of the OS?
:rolleyes:

I'm on a 56k. I'd die if I had to reinstall and redownload all the updates :eek:

I am going to upgrade in the next few months - hopefully w/o having to reinstall.

Back