• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Closed cans plus IEM recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK, another what to buy thread. Two questions,

1) A little more urgent but not really at the same time. Have a long flight coming up in a few days (Like going from DC to Singapore _LONG_) and looking to get a better pair of closed cans than what I currently use - a set of Klipsch Status headphones. I think they're kind of muffled sounding but are good at blocking out noise. I can live with the Klipschs if needed, as I also have a set of Phillips SHP9500s I toss in my bag.

2) I'm also looking for a set of IEMs to replace my Shure SE215s. The 3.5mm connector is starting to go on them, so I have to hold them at just the perfect angle, and any type of movement causes them to cut out. I kind of like their sound signature and foam tips, but was never too crazy about the way they wrap around the ear.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

The DT770 is probably one of the best closed cans I've heard. I really wanted a set of open cans, which is the only reason I didn't buy them.

I suggest the Xiaomi Piston 3 or the Xiaomi Hybrid. They're reported to be the best value.

Another alternative, if it's just the plug on your existing IEMs that's going bad, is to replace the plug. Should be a dollar or so for the plug itself and $15 or so for a basic soldering kit if you don't already have one.

I suggest the Xiaomi Piston 3 or the Xiaomi Hybrid. They're reported to be the best value.

Another alternative, if it's just the plug on your existing IEMs that's going bad, is to replace the plug. Should be a dollar or so for the plug itself and $15 or so for a basic soldering kit if you don't already have one.

Add a smidge of heatshrink and they're like new!

The DT770 is probably one of the best closed cans I've heard. I really wanted a set of open cans, which is the only reason I didn't buy them.

Thanks, I'll look into them. Decided not to get a new pair of closed headphones for this trip but still looking. Most of my larger headphones are open, but do want to eventually find a set of closed cans that I like.

Heard about the Xiaomis, will have to try them out. And yes I'm pretty sure it's the plug itself on the Shures. Thing is I'm one of those people that abuses my headphones like they keep buying the wrong type of beer. Probably had these for a year and a half, which beat my last record for IEMs by about 9 months. When a set dies on me, I don't mourn their loss, I celebrate their life. By buying their replacement and make them watch me open it from the junk drawer. An expensive tradition when you move outside of the $14.99 JVC earbuds in the impulse buy section of Best Buy, but more fun.

I stick to the $20 and under on Amazon IEM's for that reason, I usually rip a cord out or something within a month. My personal best was a set of Samsungs that I had open for about an hour and forgot I had them hanging off my shoulder when I got in my truck and of course managed to shut one in the door.

Headphones had recently become an obsession of mine, thankfully I didn't go broke before I settled on a couple pairs that get the job done...

Are you sure you don't just want a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones?

For in ear, I really doubt I'd find better buds than the Sennheiser CX300, *for the money*. They're cheap but sound good, comparable to more expensive ear buds. Buds are tough to get great sound out of by limits of their design, fwiw. So I'm okay with a small compromise, knowing that even if I spent a ton of money they will still not sound as good as the full sized headphones I have at home. I own two pairs of CX300 and one are used daily at my desk at work (the others are spare I bring when traveling). They seem to be holding up great considering the number of times I take them in/out.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-II-Precision-Enhanced-Earbuds/dp/B001EZYMF4

(I'm not sure I have this exact model, mine are quite old)

I really like the DT770, they're very comfortable and the bass response is good. The high frequencies are a tad murky though, which unfortunately holds them back (and one of the reasons I stick with my less comfortable but very adequate AudioTechnica ATH M50). I really wanted to buy the 770 at Guitar center, even went back a second time hoping I was having a 'bad ear day'. lol

Here's a short roundup I did in my search for my upgraded studio (mixing and tracking) headphones:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipm...-fi-v-ath-m50-mixing-headphone-review-379095/

Not mentioned in my roundup are the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, which is a great headphone for $100 but would be at the bottom of this ranking. I had also tried and sent back a pair of $150-200 Shure closed back that sounded like paper cups rattling. Poor bass and mediocre treble. Much too much mid range, and no definition to any of it.

Last edited:
Headphones had recently become an obsession of mine, thankfully I didn't go broke before I settled on a couple pairs that get the job done...

Are you sure you don't just want a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones?

For in ear, I really doubt I'd find better buds than the Sennheiser CX300, *for the money*. They're cheap but sound good, comparable to more expensive ear buds. Buds are tough to get great sound out of by limits of their design, fwiw. So I'm okay with a small compromise, knowing that even if I spent a ton of money they will still not sound as good as the full sized headphones I have at home. I own two pairs of CX300 and one are used daily at my desk at work (the others are spare I bring when traveling). They seem to be holding up great considering the number of times I take them in/out.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-II-Precision-Enhanced-Earbuds/dp/B001EZYMF4

(I'm not sure I have this exact model, mine are quite old)

are-you-wizard.jpg

Sorry was at work when I first saw your post and apparently had gone over my union mandated lunch break, which is as long as my boss says it is. I'm not making this up, I came back to this thread, saw Jeffs post, was curious at how much the CX300s are going for, and when I reloaded the page you replied pointing out the CX300s. They were actually my first "high end" earbuds, using the term high end here meaning simply "a set of earbuds not included with my IPod/Archos/Sansa and made by a reputable brand". Was actually considering grabbing a pair of the CX5.00s - not a typo, the new version of the CX500s.

And I realize I'm not getting great sound out of a set of IEMs, but I'm not wearing my HE400is walking down a sidewalk in 90 degree heat. Not only will I be extremely self concious but I don't feel like passing out in front of an applebees.

@Jeff G - The only issue I have with "cheap" IEMs is that I'm kind of a whatever the hell a mid-fi audiophile is. I admit I spent way too much on my desktop setup, probably couldn't tell the difference between it and a setup that cost 1/2 as much. Probably wouldn't even care in the long run. My issue is, I want something that is semi decent audio wise. I have a fair amount of sub-$20 IEMs laying around - a $16 pair of Yamahas in the bedroom, a $10 pair of Microcenter earbuds with a mic in my work laptop bag, etc. And while I can tolerate them, I'm not crazy about the idea of listening to them for an hour or two when I'm out doing stuff. Not saying I won't try a pair if you have a recommendation, but I'm not into the idea of buying 10 $15 sets to find one I like when I can buy one $50 set of Sennheisers and like it right off the bat.

Last edited:
Not saying I won't try a pair if you have a recommendation, but I'm not into the idea of buying 10 $15 sets to find one I like when I can buy one $50 set of Sennheisers and like it right off the bat.

I certainly wouldn't sway you from Senneiser products, I'm very happy with my open cans. Sub- $20 products arent going to get you anything great (not that you didn't already know that), but I have liked my Samsungs the most. They were the only ones still comfortable after an hour.

I certainly wouldn't sway you from Senneiser products, I'm very happy with my open cans. Sub- $20 products arent going to get you anything great (not that you didn't already know that), but I have liked my Samsungs the most. They were the only ones still comfortable after an hour.

Yeah, and I like most of their IEMs as well (actually use a set of MX685Gs as gym earbuds). And comfort is certanly a large factor, and the major issue I had with the Shures. With the wires that wrapped around the ear, I found the vast majority of time I had three choices - 1) let them rest fairly loose around the ear, after time the added weight of the wire/cable causing them to fall 2) clamp them down hard, causing discomfort quickly, or 3) spend several minutes getting the perfect fit, only to have them pulled loose as I'm moving around. But I'll look at the Samsungs, thanks.

So between Pinky's review and Jeff's recommendation I'm leaning towards a set of Dt770s unless someone else has a suggestion. I mean, I do like a bit of bass but it seems like a good chunk of the other closed headphones I've seen reviewed are described as having boomy or overpowering bass, at least in the price range I'm looking - since these will be mainly for travel I'm trying to keep it to ~$150 at most.

Update: Just pulled the trigger on the 80 ohm Dt770s plus hardshell case bundle on Amazon. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Back