• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I the only one having blazing VRMs with an FM2+ AMD?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

The way my Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H is acting, it's like the Athlon X4 860K is some unusual power hog, despite it's supposed to be nothing compared to an FX!

The VRMs are too hot to touch at stock clocks and it's not even an FX! Now I have to heatsink the transistors! :mad:

Well, Gigabyte, at least with skipping the transistor heatsinks, did pull an "MSI G43"!

I watched one of the temp readings climb to at least around 210 C, but no crashes or errors... I found the culprit.

210°C huh? Cool story, that's a bad reading, not an actual temp.

Just because it is too hot to touch doesn't mean it's hot enough to be unsafe...

I have an f2a55m-ds2 with an a8 in it in the fleet and with a little airflow it's just fine.
do you use an IGPU?

I'm not too surprised that board heats up. It's a low end board with the highest TDP CPU in it. No heatsinks, lower power phase count, etc...
I'd get a bit of extra air moving around them and HS them like you said

I've run a few different FM2/2+ CPUs and Kaveri has to be the hottest and worst overclocking of the bunch. They start with higher than normal VIDs and go up really fast when you start overclocking.. If you plan on leaving it at stock you might want to try undervolting the cpu to also save on heat.

Last edited:
Motherboard heat sinks are for keeping the Mosfets/Voltage Regulator Modules cool, they don't cool transistors that I know of.

Your VRM's (and anything else on your motherboard) are highly unlikely to get to 210°C though, thermal throttling and/or thermal shutdown should kick in long before it would get that hot.

Last edited:
Motherboard heat sinks are for keeping the Mosfets/Voltage Regulator Modules cool, they don't cool transistors that I know of.

Your VRM's (and anything else on your motherboard) are highly unlikely to get to 210°C though, thermal throttling and/or thermal shutdown should kick in long before it would get that hot.

Yep, I meant MOSFETs! Looks like Gigabyte wants me to have Kentucky-fried MOSFETs LOL.

Yep, I meant MOSFETs! Looks like Gigabyte wants me to have Kentucky-fried MOSFETs LOL.

I had an EVGA board with Kentucky Fried Mosfets once (also no heatsinks for them). I found it unappetizing, it left a bad aftertaste and had a strong unpleasant aroma. :D

Back