• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dear AMD, please refund me the money i spent on my motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffalowings

Registered
why did I even buy a gigabyte 990fx UD3 motherboard? (to run bulldozer) now that it's out and I don't even have any remote interest in it...I'm pretty pissed at AMD..not teary anger tantrum pissed but close... :cry: at this point, it's safe to say that people overspent when they bought any of the 990fx boards assuming they aren't interesting in "upgrading" to the BSchitt. And AMD is already planning on using the FM2 socket leaving AM3+ adopters in the cpu bone yard. I think it's reasonable of AMD to offer an apology and a partial refund for the price difference in AM3 and AM3+ hardware.

This is the reason why i don't jump into a pool before i look how deep it is. I had high hopes for BD. But at the same time i was not holding my breath. I hope improvements will come in the future which will grant me even the idea of upgrading. But until then, i am sticking with my 890FXA-GD65 which does all that i want.

whatever the guys at AMD on facebook are running, it's sure fast...my hate posts are deleted faster then I can type...

Yep, sorry to say it buddy, but it's your fault. There was absolutely no need to get a MB ahead of BD's release. I'm in the process of putting together another new system. Everything is all bought except for MB and CPU. My intent was to wait until BD finally get released, then choose between BD and SB. It's a no brainer at this moment. A 2500K + MB combo is on the way. Had I decided to go with BD, I would have waited a least a month or two until the platform have matured a bit and most of the bugs with CPU, chipset and MBs have been ironed out.

Yep, sorry to say it buddy, but it's your fault. There was absolutely no need to get a MB ahead of BD's release. I'm in the process of putting together another new system. Everything is all bought except for MB and CPU. My intent was to wait until BD finally get released, then choose between BD and SB. It's a no brainer at this moment. A 2500K + MB combo is on the way. Had I decided to go with BD, I would have waited a least a month or two until the platform have matured a bit and most of the bugs with CPU, chipset and MBs have been ironed out.

perhaps it was, when I built my rig a few months ago, I had the option to go AMD or intel sandybridge, because of a fanboy friend of mine and my lack of knowledge of computer hardware back then, 6 cores looked really attractive that is..until i read more into the intel vs amd debate AFTER i had completed my build...too late to go back for sure. But I'm still pretty mad and I think that is understandable even if I am to blame for trusting AMD

I support first movers to new technology. But i never do so myself. New products that just hit the market are so full of bugs and other **** that drive you crazy most of the time that i never will be on the top end of new releases. Only time will tell and future improvements will actually show the performance of these motherboards and processors. So my advice would be to cool the jets and give it time.

I support first movers to new technology. But i never do so myself. New products that just hit the market are so full of bugs and other **** that drive you crazy most of the time that i never will be on the top end of new releases. Only time will tell and future improvements will actually show the performance of these motherboards and processors. So my advice would be to cool the jets and give it time.

It would be alright if I could just sit and wait knowing AMD might very well likely work out the kinks but that isn't in their plans for the future...FM2.. more like FML

by golly..they delete their facebook hate posts faster then you can say intel I5 sandybridge...don't even have to mention AMD bulldozer at this point

Cant blame anybody for buying something that turns out to be less than what you expected, if you bought it at Frys I would say return it and it would be OK, few vendors are that generous with their return policy though.

I think they have a good thing going with the current FM1. I have hopes for the FM2. while it might not be the fastest processors around, the graphics they might throw in with them will make them a great price to performance value. I wish i had the money to build an FM1 system right now, if i did i would have built one up in a heart beat.

Cant blame anybody for buying something that turns out to be less than what you expected, if you bought it at Frys I would say return it and it would be OK, few vendors are that generous with their return policy though.

I bought my motherboard and processor from newegg.com..heck, I bought my whole computer from newegg. even if I returned the motherboard and turned to intel then, I would still be out $180 because newegg doesn't accept any cpu returns.

Here's my bluntly put opinion on this matter...

AMD definitely should not refund any consumers' money. It is the consumers' fault for buying a board assuming the CPU will be worth it without proof or benchmarks to back up any hype that was created for the CPU's possible performance. There was also no reason to buy boards before the release of the CPU because you'll have to wait on the CPU to ship anyways. So why not just wait on the release and benches first and buy the board + CPU together? Either way you'll have to wait the same amount of time to have a Bulldozer system running. So don't be pissed at AMD, be pissed at yourself.

Live and learn...

All you can do is return or sell the stuff purchased specifically for Bulldozer, and then buy something you deem worthy.

You might have a case to get a refund if you tell them the CPU will not run as it is not compatible with the board like it was advertised, so even if you want you cant use the board or CPU

I did the jump to AM3+ as well with expectations to move into BD.

I was already on AM3 so honestly it wasn't that big of a deal as the AM3+ boards support AM3.

Well rather than piling on like the previous folks have I'll try and take a more positive approach. I've been in your position like when MSI juked me and never released a 6-core BIOS as was previously promised by them and I had to buy another board; so I understand how it feels.

There are still quite a few people who would buy a 990fx; uncluding ebay. Will you lose some? sure but it wont be disasterous. Or hell you could just go for it on bulldozer for grins.

Worst comes to worst you could always get an i3 and a z68 and still end up cheaper than dozer plus it'll be about the same in terms of performance.

why did I even buy a gigabyte 990fx UD3 motherboard? (to run bulldozer) now that it's out and I don't even have any remote interest in it...I'm pretty pissed at AMD..not teary anger tantrum pissed but close... :cry: at this point, it's safe to say that people overspent when they bought any of the 990fx boards assuming they aren't interesting in "upgrading" to the BSchitt. And AMD is already planning on using the FM2 socket leaving AM3+ adopters in the cpu bone yard. I think it's reasonable of AMD to offer an apology and a partial refund for the price difference in AM3 and AM3+ hardware.

Try the classifieds!

I bought my motherboard and processor from newegg.com..heck, I bought my whole computer from newegg. even if I returned the motherboard and turned to intel then, I would still be out $180 because newegg doesn't accept any cpu returns.

I can understand where you are coming from, i was hoping the 8150 would atleast make the 2600k cheaper, but the 2600k is still a bit better and that 8150 is not low enough to even compete with the 2600k in that regard. I think the 8150 is a good replacement for people who don't have i7's and people who have Athlon processors or Phenom I's.

Not only that but Intel seems to have the lead and not letting it go, even if the 8150 beat the 2600k, they would soon have an Ivy Bridge that would make you wonder why AMD keeps trying. But here is my 0.02 cents, i don't think it's a competition as much as it is AMD trying to appeal to the budget friendly market, if both of them released CPUs that were equal or greater, the price of the chips would just inflate, so AMD is doing a good job of keep Intels prices in check, otherwise the sandybridge would of gone for $999.

Also, i am now going to change my avatar picture to a My little pony... But Fluttershy is kind of my favorite which you already have :p

Last edited:
I feel for you, but this is why you have to research your next purchase for a long time. I was waiting for bulldozer for months. I read all of the rumor threads and that's when I knew it wasn't going to be as fast as I thought it would be. So I got this 2500k last month and never regretted it. It's funny how everyone always downplayed the leaked benchmarks saying they were poorly optimized engineering samples. Well when the real benchmarks came out there was no way to downplay those.

I'm a through and through AMD fan but am realistic enough to realise the BD is gonna take time to mature with BIOS and the like. ATM a 8150 isn't really gonna do anything my 1100T won't but, I still have faith that BD will turn out to be a good choice. It pays to be a bit patient.

Count me in. I bought the 990x motherboard couple weeks ago with anticipation that maybe with the release of BD boards might even sell out so I grabbed one just in case.Its now on ebay at a loss.

Back