• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Gigabyte site now shows a Rev 4.0 now for the 990FXA-UD3 complete with separate BIOS and a specific call out for "Digital Power Engine"

"GIGABYTE Ultra Durable motherboards take advantage of an exclusive Digital PWM controller array, to deliver maximum and stable power to latest processors. Using digital controllers means that more precise power delivery to the motherboard's most power hungry and energy sensitive components is possible. This Digital Power system, with Precise Auto Voltage Compensation to make real-time adjustments and deliver a steady flow of power to the system, no matter the loading. This all new, digital power system provides enthusiast users with exceptional control over the overclocking potential of their GIGABYTE motherboard."

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4672#bios

I wonder if this new Rev 4.0 supports a better Power Management implementation than previous Rev 3.0? If it truly can handle FX class chips without throttling then this will be an attractive board. Other than the throttling issue, the 3.0 is a tight board.

The Gigabyte site now shows a Rev 4.0 now for the 990FXA-UD3 complete with separate BIOS and a specific call out for "Digital Power Engine"

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4672#bios

I wonder if this new Rev 4.0 supports a better Power Management implementation than previous Rev 3.0? If it truly can handle FX class chips without throttling then this will be an attractive board. Other than the throttling issue, the 3.0 is a tight board.

My guess would be yes. Looking at it they significantly beefed up the VRM heatsink, and they list official support for the 9370 and 9590 @ 220W TDP. If they didnt enable users to disable TDP based control on this board thats a complete failure IMO.

Last edited:
The Rev 4.0 and new features to tout is the reason they never bothered to really fix the Rev 3.0 board. Now they can get "money" for a new version. Hehehe
RGone...

Newegg is sellin the Extreme9 in bundle with the new 9000's. It should handle it, check out my post in Extreme9 opinion, good numbers too. The thing is gonna be overclockin the 9000's, gona have to water the board down too if your gonna, my temps are right there @ 5.0 with 8350, depends on how hot there gonna be, notherwords just as hot as 8350 overclocked or if since there at 5 are temps gonna be normal there? I'm curious if anyone knows?

You had to OC a northwood a decent bit to get it to the stock heat output of an 8350. Even the "heatmonster" Prescotts were lower wattage than stock FX chips.

lol :p

I think he said that Newegg is bundling the 9370 or the 9590 with the Asrock Extreme9.
He is also optimistic about the overclocking potential of said board, in conjuncture with the new FX processors.
He opines that water-cooling will be required for the heat-load, in the event of overclocking said processors with said board.
Finally, he expresses concern about his ability to handle the heat load with his current cooling setup, and asks if anybody knows how hot the new chips will run.

Answer: Really hot. Probably a little over your 5.0 ghz 8350.

I figured since it still takes same power to push it, I know it sounded stupid, I just wasnt sure if AMD changed construction of chip for heat whatever, Thanks for answer and not earthdogs useless jabs at me, I stayed away for long time because he helped me so much ..lol Anyhow Peace

Useless jabs? My aplogies for that post if it managed to offend you. I should have elaborated on what I didn't get...

I was really looking for your, 'post extreme 9 opinion'...but (still) do not have clue what that meant or more accuately, where to find that opinion...

Last edited:
Sorry

Useless jabs? My aplogies for that post if it managed to offend you. I should have elaborated on what I didn't get...

I was really looking for your, 'post extreme 9 opinion'...but (still) do not have clue what that meant or more accuately, where to find that opinion...

My wife says I don't get what I want to say across either, I guess my bad there, anyhow I posted my experience so far its in ... Opinions on ASRock 990FX Extreme9 MoBo / Baylock I read more than I post, anyhow forget no biggy.

5.0, stock will be on turbo core, that will make it 5.0 on 4 cores. heat, as always will be an issue, but I bet these will be well binned.
4.7 then 5.0 turbo should not be to hard for them to do. it's easy to set up on the upper range boards.

Oooffffff, first nail in the coffin

For some reason we don't keep long-running threads about specific boards here in the forum, but other sites do so. I just linked that about the Gigabyte UD3 boards since it was 'this' August 2013. I have seen replies from Gigabyte over the last year or so that were entirely similar. Some Giga replies said that they did not have APM disable because they followed the specs of AMD and so on. I came to believe I understood that they were saying, if it worked fine but if not fine as well since you were overclocking.

I am sure it is all about the money and little else in these times. You have to make money and that is a given, but often it seems at the expense of those whom do not pay real close attention.
RGone...

Thanks for the update. Ill look through those treads in the next couple of days and decide what to do with the info.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (REV 4)

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(REV 4) ...... FX 8150 Friendly. Yup you read that right.

I haven't had much time to post on here the last while as I have been way to busy with selling my old house, buying and doing renos here at my new place. Over this time I had allot of help from a couple real good friends and well it's Christmas so I thought I would put together a rig for bob for his help. Now I had enough spare parts here to do this but wanted to keep my CHVF as a backup board so that left me short one part.

I only had the choice of 2 boards when I was in at Canada computer that day for a board that can work with my FX 8150 ..... ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (REV 4). I ended up choosing the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 as the system didn't require a top notch board, no overclock or very little if I decide to. We have seen and heard of the issues associated with the Rev 1.1 and the rev 3 boards especially.

Well this is a rev 4 board and eventually someone will come in looking for help to OC one of the FX chips on it and since no one has brought one forth so far I thought I would take a chance and see what happens. I can't say as I am thrilled with the board however I have been spoiled with my 3 boards, CHVF, CHVFz and the Sabertooth Rev2. Surprisingly I was able to get a fairly stable 1 hour run with Prime up to 4.6GHZ with the board. Although not a bad system, something you might see a normal user come in for some help with ...... FX8150 @ 4.61GHZ, Corsair H100, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (REV4), Mushkin Blackline ram that I have running pretty tight 1866 @7 10 8 27 T2 1.65v.4

Whatever Gigabyte has done with the new rev 4 board works ..... well at least so far as an option for an entry level board that can OC the FX 8150 to a pretty decent OC for the cooling I have on this chip. It would be nice to drop in the fx 8350 for a run but I won't have the time. Below is a screen of the OC and about a 1 hour prime run before a worker dropped off. It's not far from usable stability and I don't have the time to fine tune it. But keep an eye out I might get a more detailed post up about this board.

4600mhz.png

Last edited:
Coolermaster H100, << what the heck is that for a cooler? Package and Socket pretty cozy with each other temp wise.
RGone...

Coolermaster H100, << what the heck is that for a cooler? Package and Socket pretty cozy with each other temp wise.
RGone...

LOL ..... I was very tired ......:shock::rofl:

Yes the two temps are pretty close. Not sure if TEMPIN2 or TEMPIN3 is the socket temp as they were very close to each other right through the OC 600T case I used had already been modded for a 120mm exhaust fan behind the motherboard to help with socket temps but other then that I tried to keep this setup as close to an entry level system, though a good entry level system as I could.

Back