• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading The FX 8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtdewcowboy

I have been running the FX 8320 since its release, overclocked it as high as 4.9Ghz but it has taken its toll on the cpu.
Looking to upgrade to newer AMD cpus. question is should I go 5000 series or 7000 series?
Either upgrade will require new ram and new motherboards so that's not a issue.
For cooling I am already running a 480mm custom watercooling setup, will need to get a new water block to match new hardware.
I have a 750 watt PSU so that should be fine and I am running a RT 6600 XT graphics card
Looking at cpu/motherboard bundles, 7600x cpu and B650M board for $450ish and the 5600x and X570 plus board is $380ish
Either upgrade will be a huge improvement over the FX 8320.

I mean, it's clear you hold onto chips forever so, spend, brother...!
That I do Lol
I did go with a FX 8320 over the FX 8350 back in the day so I am leaning towards the 7700 over the 7600. 6 core vs 8core @ a $74. The 7900 is $184 more than the 7700 and $258 more than the 7600, but the 7900 is 12 cores :oops:. I also have the added cost of ram and waterblock that I would have to buy right away since the cpu don't come with coolers anymore. I believe my watercooling setup should be plenty for any of these chips. But if I went with the 7600 @ 65 watts and cheaper, I could possible add the 6600 XT into the loop.

It comes down to what you expect from it. Do you think you can stretch the 7600 another 10-15 years? If no, is it worth adding the GPU into loop to trade that off?

I could possible add the 6600 XT into the loop.
I'd ask 'why' on this...if you don't play games and plan to hold onto this GPU (good for 1080p/60+ today...) I think it's ok. Otherwise, not worth the $ and hassle. Take the money you'd spend on the block and upgrade to a better GPU. I think, regardless I wouldn't spend the time/$/effort to put a low-power 2-gen old today in the loop.

I'd ask 'why' on this...if you don't play games and plan to hold onto this GPU (good for 1080p/60+ today...) I think it's ok. Otherwise, not worth the $ and hassle. Take the money you'd spend on the block and upgrade to a better GPU. I think, regardless I wouldn't spend the time/$/effort to put a low-power 2-gen old today in the loop.
waterblock with backplate is $100 and I just bought the 6600 XT so not looking to replace anytime soon, 1080P monitor. I already the loop in my case and will need to redo the water lines so new hose will be used.

This is what I ended up getting, the waterblock is hard to find for AM5 and this was the only one available that is know to work.
Was really debating between the Ryzen 5 7600x Ryzen 5 7700x and the Ryzen 5 7900x. Being that I don't upgrade very often I decided that 12 cores 24 threads would be better for the long term over the 6 cores 12 threads and overall price was just $150 more.
I am thinking that this will be good for years to come and the only upgrades will be the GPU, not a heavy gamer. I mostly benchmark with the system.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 10
Back