• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I wasting my money on this monitor with the graphic card that I have (NOOB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

647chang

Registered
Im planning on getting this monitor Acer Curved 34-inch UltraWide QHD. It's the one with freesyn, and I know they have a G-sync one. Im not really big on the red and plus this one is cheaper. Im getting a prebuilt HP Envy 860, it comes with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3. I know its a POS, but Im thinking about up grading to a GTX 980 in the future. Can I use freesync with of these boards or do I have to get an AMD graphics card? Can I put a AMD graphics card into this motherboard if thats the case?

Why don't you just build yourself instead of buying prebuilt?

How the GPU works with the monitor will depend on your intended usage.

I have a same resolution LG monitor with neither of those sync functions. I had a 960 early on and that was not up to driving it at a decent framerate and high quality settings. Now with a 980Ti I can pretty much remain locked at 60fps.

In a quick search for the specs of that desktop, I would assume you can change cards later. Seems to come with 500W PSU which should be ok assuming it is a decent one.

Freesync = AMD.

I would also build your own instead of a low spec off the shelf unit... What is your budget?

$1300 after taxes. From looking the HP Envy is cheaper then building one.

Operating system:
Windows 10 Home1
Memory (RAM):
32GB DDR4 (4 x 8GB)
Hard drive description:
3TB 7200 RPM SATA2
Processor family:
Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Processor:
Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Skylake 95W (4.0GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
Graphics:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3
Power supply type:
600W external AC power adapter

This thing is water cooled also. The only downfall is this video card. Costco has it as $1200 before tax.

Again, what's your intended usage?

Right now, mainly work. Quickbook, MS word stuff like that. I would like to do some light gaming on it. I play a lot of FPS. From reading this monitor will do 60 hz on HDMI and 80 hz w/ freesync on displayport . I just want a gpu high enough to run the monitor at 80 hz, nothing overpowering it. I guess one of my main question is, can I put an AMD gpu (to take advantage of the freesync) in this computer or will there be a mismatch in the system?

Freesync will only work if the monitor supports it. Can you link to the exact monitor please?

The GPU will run the monitor at 80hz no problem.. ANY modern GPU can do that really. The concern is putting up 80 FPS on your screen or more to take advantage of the monitor's refresh rate. A 745 isn't going to do that.

Yes, you can drop an AMD card into that system... that said, you should really just build one yourself for the same amount of money you can have as good or better parts...

Something like this:

6600K ($250)
ASUS Z170-A ($155)
GSkill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB DDR4 3000 ($95)
Windows 10 ($100)
EVGA Supernova G2 650W ($100)
Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD ($88)
Western Digital Caviar BLack 2TB ($127)
Powercolor R9 390 ($295)

= $1210. That leaves about $90 for a case of your choice.

The GPU will run the monitor at 80hz no problem.. ANY modern GPU can do that really. The concern is putting up 80 FPS on your screen or more to take advantage of the monitor's refresh rate. A 745 isn't going to do that.

Yes, you can drop an AMD card into that system... that said, you should really just build one yourself for the same amount of money you can have as good or better parts...

Something like this:

6600K ($250)
ASUS Z170-A ($155)
GSkill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB DDR4 3000 ($95)
Windows 10 ($100)
EVGA Supernova G2 650W ($100)
Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD ($88)
Western Digital Caviar BLack 2TB ($127)
Powercolor R9 390 ($295)

= $1210. That leaves about $90 for a case of your choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Curved-3..._2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456159257&sr=8-2&keywords=x34
This is a freesync monitor

Am I not downgrading the Ram from 32 to a 16 and also the processor from a 6700 to a 6600. I know the parts you pick are probably better.

I know its a freesync monitor... that is why I selected an AMD GPU....................

For the record... Quickbooks and MS Word will not benefit from more cores or more ram. 32GB of ram is absolutely overkill and a waste of cash if you are not using it all.

You are overpaying for things you do not need... Why not pay more for the things that will make a difference, like a much better GPU to use with your monitor?

I know its a freesync monitor... that is why I selected an AMD GPU....................

For the record... Quickbooks and MS Word will not benefit from more cores or more ram. 32GB of ram is absolutely overkill and a waste of cash if you are not using it all.

You are overpaying for things you do not need... Why not pay more for the things that will make a difference, like a much better GPU to use with your monitor?
Agreed!

Yes it's not the top of the line 6700k Cpu but in most instances you wont see a difference between a 6600k and 6700k. You will see a big difference in the R9 390 over any of the other Gpu's.

Went into PC builder and this is what I found. Anything with this list you guys would change.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xbwRZL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xbwRZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($378.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1327.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-22 14:12 EST-0500

Is there a way around buying windows 10 or even 8.1. Can I pull a registration code from a previous PC that I own.

A couple of things... first, I would use my build, LOL!

Second...

A. Get DDR4 3000 CL15. Why buy DDR3 speeds on DDR4 platform? ;)
B. The NEX is a decent PSU, however, theone I chose is newer and a lot higher quality. What you selected is fine though.
C. You forgot Windows and are already over budget.

Any reason why you are stuck on the 6700K even though nothing you have mentioned benefits its use and therefore the premium?

I would go with what EarthDog is showing you the i7 6700 is something you wont utilize because of the software you are going to use, it's like having a race car and not tacking it to the road racing track. The i5 6600k will be plenty more than you will use for now.

If I started to game more (call of duty BO3) on it would I see any different in 6700 over the 6600. Just want to say I'm super clueless on any of these things. Talked to the wife my new budget is $2800 that's everything. Need to add monitor, keyboard/mouse (not really into the gaming stuff), and speakers.

Mandrake4565, Im also trying to keep this system quiet. This is why I picked NZXT H440 case. Thermalright true spirit: how does that compare to the having it liquid cooled.

Back