• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I wasting my money on this monitor with the graphic card that I have (NOOB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, that budget just went up a ton...

I would then go with the 6700K, R9 Fury X, and get the better PSU I chose earlier. The case, monitor, k/b and mouse are your call. I still wouldn't get 32GB of ram... :)

I just noticed that your monitor is really high res... not quite 4K... so I would def. go with a Fury X so you have enough horsepower to drive the monitor in its native resolution.

You won't see any difference in gaming between the two processors. Games are still mainly dependent on clock speed as far as processor goes, but realistically the system will be limited by the gpu. Cpu clock speed won't matter at all unless you are going to spend over $1k in video cards alone.

One other case I'm looking at is the thermaltke core p5. Almost seems like you have to go with a big radiator and liquid cool to fill that case to make it look cool. There's to much of a dead space on the right side. How much better would that case do if I don't do liquid cooled?

If you game the i5 6600k won't hold your Graphics card back you picked out, even if you buy the best Graphics card and crossfire it the CPU wont hold you back. It's your money, I would buy a better Graphics card for gaming.

If you game the i5 6600k won't hold your Graphics card back you picked out, even if you buy the best Graphics card and crossfire it.
When using two GPUs, overclocking will help get the most out of the setup...even on intel. Cores do not matter as you said.

Wow, that budget just went up a ton...

Not really $2800 for the whole budget. $2800 - $1000 monitor - Keyboard/mouse $100 - Speaker $150 = I am at $1550 for my build

- - - Updated - - -

If you game the i5 6600k won't hold your Graphics card back you picked out, even if you buy the best Graphics card and crossfire it the CPU wont hold you back. It's your money, I would buy a better Graphics card for gaming.

I just want a Graphics card that will max that monitor out. Its not like I'm gaming on triple 4k monitor. I just I just need 80 FPS at 1440p on a ultra wide? (Im guessing that the gpu I need)

It is vary difficult to game on a single 4K monitor you need a lot of GPU power, I would purchase 2X R9 390X for averaging 80 FPS.

Last edited:
Not really $2800 for the whole budget. $2800 - $1000 monitor - Keyboard/mouse $100 - Speaker $150 = I am at $1550 for my build

- - - Updated - - -

I just want a Graphics card that will max that monitor out. Its not like I'm gaming on triple 4k monitor. I just I just need 80 FPS at 1440p on a ultra wide? (Im guessing that the gpu I need)
Ok, so keep the 6600K in that case... and look at upgrading to the R9 Fury or R9 Fury X. You MAY be able to "max out" that monitor with a Fury X.

An R9 390x certainly won't cut it at that resolution.

Where's all the 4k talk come from? Unless I missed a post about changing monitors away from the one in the OP. If you crunch the numbers, 3440x1440 works out about 60% the pixel count of 4k, so you don't need to stress over the GPU quite as much.

Where's all the 4k talk come from? Unless I missed a post about changing monitors away from the one in the OP. If you crunch the numbers, 3440x1440 works out about 60% the pixel count of 4k, so you don't need to stress over the GPU quite as much.
Its close enough to warrant something more than a 390x is the underlying point. ;)

Its over 33% more than 2560x1440. Yes, 4K is a bigger jump than that, but a 390x won't do it well for long. Since review sites do not test on that odd resolution, the best we have is 4K IMO. Id rather plan for that then base it off of a lesser resolution. He should get the best card he can afford. :)

Here is my new list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1006.17

I drop the CPU to a 6600, I went with mother board and PSU you recommend. I switch the cooler to a smaller one. Im at $1000, all the Fury X I found are $600 min, this will put me over budget. Should I stay with 390x and get a 2nd one down the road?

Mackerel, monitor did not change. Im really surprised that this monitor is that hard to drive. Just to think I was going to settle with a GTX 745

That is what I would do purchase another 390x if you get more into gaming down the road, you will have a free sync monitor and gaming system so low to 30 FPS wont be a issue.:)

Crossfire can be more trouble sometimes. One fury is not better than 2 390x depending on the game if it supports Crossfire. If your not going to game that much I would go with 390x the fury is only 20% better in some games. The Motherboard you picked will not overclock, the Z170 is what you need to look at.http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627+600567584+600009016

Free sync will make your gaming buttery smooth with a lower performance Graphics card.

Last edited:
Right now the Fury X will put me over budget. So Earthdog, 1x Fury x is better than 2x 390x? Also I want to try to keep a red/black theme. Will this motherboard work for this set up https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-b150gamingm3. I seems to be a little cheaper then the one you recommend.
I said fury... not fury x. They are two different cards. ;)

B150 series motherboard will work, however you cannot overclock anything with it. If you want to overclock, stick with z170.

Back