• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I wasting my money on this monitor with the graphic card that I have (NOOB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I said fury... not fury x. They are two different cards. ;)

Like I said I'm a noob. I found that the price of Fury and Fury X are pretty close

One last final update on my list. I chose a different mother again for the red/black theme. The ram I pick was 2400 and someone told me I need 2100. I up the battery to a 850w just in case in the future I need to add that 2nd 390x. EarthDog I'm not sure is this is the same battery you recommend but with a higher output.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1449.15

Pretty close? Fury is over $100 cheaper...that would put you $20 over budget (assuming $510 fury). Or hell, get a nano.. it's $500.

You buy that type of monitor man, you need to pay to play. The provlem is that high res... go 2560x1440144hz monitor and go with a 390x. Or skip FreeSync and Gsync altogether so you aren't locked in to a brand...

Isn't that the hole Idea for Free sync so you don't need the best Graphics card, it gives you smooth frame rate even when the FPS drops. The motherboard you picked will work fine.

As mentioned already, I have the same resolution monitor. I got the business styled LG 34UC87 model since it looked less showy and had a better stand than the consumer 34UC97 version. These don't have freesync/gsync and go up to 60 Hz refresh. In my experience with gaming on it with an underpowered GPU was possible but not desirable. Obviously if you can lock to 60 fps, that's best. In practice I found it dropping to the 40's or thereabouts and it felt less smooth. The thing is, if I intentionally cap it to 30 fps, it looks smoother than variable 40's. The 30 fps was less smooth than 60 fps, but was still ok for my gaming since I don't do fast reaction games any more. It is my understanding if you were in that low fps variable zone, either of the sync technologies would give a better experience. I personally like my approach, get a cheaper non-sync monitor and faster GPU to lock at higher framerates in the first place. In a quick look the LG I have is cheaper than either of the Acer models locally to me.

Please stop creating duplicate threads chang. This is the 3rd time we have had to merge/delete threads on this same build. :)

Also, chang, you keep dropping your ram speed. You should be shooting for around ddr4-3000 not 2133.

I agree with the others, if you can't afford the hardware to run a $1000 screen then maybe it would be best to downgrade the screen to something like the Acer Predator that wingman posted and a 980ti. Would cost less overall and still give a fantastic picture at 1440p

Also, chang, you keep dropping your ram speed. You should be shooting for around ddr4-3000 not 2133.

I agree with the others, if you can't afford the hardware to run a $1000 screen then maybe it would be best to downgrade the screen to something like the Acer Predator that wingman posted and a 980ti. Would cost less overall and still give a fantastic picture at 1440p

Reading on this http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-technical-resources.html it says the memory type is 1866/2133. Someone told me any ram over that is an over kill. The CPU will only handle 2100 and it's a waste of money.

Sorry for a multiple post. One post was for monitor/build compatibility. The other one was more on if all the parts will work together.

Found an xfx r9 fury. Seems to be $520. Is this any good? Seems like a low end fury product. http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814150757&cm_re=Fury-_-14-150-757-_-Product

The CPU will handle into the DDR4-3400+ range, get something faster.

That card will work fine, it has a 2 year warranty I don't know how good XFX is anymore they have been around for a long time since 2002.

Last thing I bought from XFX was a PSU, and it's still going strong. They were the go-to brand for the high-end HD 7XXX series Radeon cards, from what I saw.

Back