• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark deck guy

HI Everyone,
I have been interested in building a custom computer for high end gaming and future Vr.
I have done a fair bit of reading but am really new to this type of build. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Here is my Parts list:
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Swiftech H320 X2 Prestige 3x120 mm Drive X2 Prestige AIO CPU Cooler
MSI Z170A GAMING M9 ACK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan got 3 of these
Acer Z35 bmiphz 35.0" 144Hz Monitor

I have been looking to make sure its all compatible and will fit on PC Parts Picker it all checks out but I'm not sure how accurate that site is. I also don't want to end up using a lower end part that will detract from the other parts I am using (kind of like putting racing slicks on a Pinto):p

I now the list is long but any feedback would be awesome.

Last edited:
Why are you getting so much RAM? 16gb is more than enough for any gaming scenario. That much RAM is a waste unless you are doing high end photoshop stuff and high end video editing. If you plan on overclocking a huge amount of RAM like that might be counterproductive because it puts more strain on the IMC. And two SSD plus a spinner HD? That's the kind of storage setup a professional graphics artist might have, not a gamer.

I am getting into photo editing and video editing in the new year. My company builds ultra high end sundecks and we use a Drone to do after videos and photo shots. I don't know if I would really require 32gb though so good point, I never considered the strain on the IMC. Would you recommend only one M2 ssd and then the spinner for storage?
Thanks for the feedback

Your M2 is rather large so it will hold a lot of programs and games to serve as your boot drive. So I guess I would eliminate the other SSD and move the spinner up to 3 TB (WD Blacks "Z" models supposedly have two processors and perform better than other spinners).

My strongest recommendation would be, however, to take advantage of the roomy case and go with a 3x120 closed loop water cooler instead of the H100i. There have been a lot of problems with the Corsair software on their water coolers. Besides that, a two fan water cooler will hardly give you any better cooling than a high end air cooler like the Noctua D15 and won't be as quiet. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108218 Switftech is one of the most respected manufacturers of water cooling equipment.

And if you are only going with one video card an 850W PSU is overkill. 650W would be plenty. Corsair makes good PSUs but the favorite brand in this forum community is the EVGA (Super Nova Series).

Last edited:
Oh yes, definitely change your RAM choice. Move up from 2133 to 3000 mhz. 2133 DDR4 will perform less well than high end DDR3 because the latencies are so high with DDR4. Offset that with going to a higher frequency DDR4. The 6700k IMC should handle that okay but not necessarily both higher frequencies and 32gb together in a overclocking scenario.

The water cooler looks way better definitely changing, where do I find color to add to the coolant?
Awesome advice thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Great feedback I am editing original Posts to show changes based on recommendations. Having a hard time dropping other SSD. I guess its more of a hang up because my previously store bought computers always ended up running short on storage.And I love the speed of the SSD's

Welcome to the Forums Mark. Your build looks very nice. I would agree with Trents on the ram and cooling choices. I would personally go with a HGST spinner drive as they have a slightly lower failure rate and are priced a little better. Don't get me wrong, WD Blacks are very high quality drives, I just feel the HGST are a better bargain.

As far as coolant we generally don't recommend dyed coolant as it can and will eventually stain and gum up all your cooling components.

I guess you could change out the clear coolant with colored. I would not add dies, especially pastel ones. They cause problems with clogs I've heard. Swiftech makes a green colored coolant that has anti-algaecides ingredients mixed in already. I use it and have not had any problems but if you don 't like green . . . Most people just used clear distilled water but add a silver coil to suppress algae. Be careful you don't void the warranty of the cooler with changing the coolant that comes with it as an all in one sealed unit.

Welcome to the Forums Mark. Your build looks very nice. I would agree with Trents on the ram and cooling choices. I would personally go with a HGST spinner drive as they have a slightly lower failure rate and are priced a little better. Don't get me wrong, WD Blacks are very high quality drives, I just feel the HGST are a better bargain.

As far as coolant we generally don't recommend dyed coolant as it can and will eventually stain and gum up all your cooling components.

Yes the more I ve been reading about it I think the dyes are more trouble than its worth, Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah clear is good. I'm going to finalize decision on the monitor and order it up.
Thanks for all the help I will post the final product after I build it.

Back