• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwing477

Hello.

I'm in the middle of upgrading my PC, in preparation of the RTX 3000 series and Cyberpunk 2077, and wanted to get a vibe check on my current build. All the parts, except the GPU, have been purchased.

I mainly use this machine for gaming and heavy development work; no video editing, streaming or 4K gaming.

I plan to buy the 3080, either on Thursday, when it releases, or a few weeks after.

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor​

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler​

Motherboard:
MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard​

Memory:
Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory​

Storage:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive​
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive​
Samsung 750 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive​

Video Card:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 -> RTX 3080​

Power Supply:
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply​

Case:
Corsaid Carbide Spec-01​

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
at a high level it looks good.

* I'd look at DDR4 3600 CL14/16 memory instead of the slower 3200 CL16.
* You can easily get away with a B550 based motherboard if you chose to and save some cash.
* For storage, I would get an NVMe based drive for the OS and w/e else you want to put on it.

What does 'heavy development work' entail?

Mostly software development. My time between development and gaming is 50-50. That's what I meant.

What's your budget?

I meant to write that I've already purchased or owned the components, except the GPU.

MB you list is probably more than you need.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I did a lot of research for the MoBo, and I'm happy with my purchase :)

* I'd look at DDR4 3600 CL14/16 memory instead of the slower 3200 CL16.

Good suggestion. I bought the RAM from Walmart, so I hope I can return them for faster sticks.

* You can easily get away with a B550 based motherboard if you chose to and save some cash.

I meant to write that I already own all the components, except the GPU.

Love it when its already bought and THEN people ask.... lol. :)

But yeah, a build in 2020 needs an NVMe drive! SATA is so 2010. :p

Love it when its already bought and THEN people ask.... lol.
Hah. Yeah, I can understand the counter-intuitiveness of that. However, I'm in a position to make last-minute switches should there be any significant issues with what I already have.

But yeah, a build in 2020 needs an NVMe drive! SATA is so 2010.

Interesting. I'm might consider this. You're not the only person who suggested this.

Then I'll be another 'only person' to suggest it as well. Use it as a boot drive, maybe frequently used apps as well. You'll love the 5-6 second boot-to-login times.

Looks like a good build. If you are unable to return the ram you could always attempt an overclock. Many 3200 speed memory can reach 3600 speeds without even a voltage bump. I haven't had the oportunity to play with Patriot ram since DDR3 though.

Then I'll be another 'only person' to suggest it as well. Use it as a boot drive, maybe frequently used apps as well. You'll love the 5-6 second boot-to-login times.

Good to know. I'll definitely consider it ;)

Looks like a good build. If you are unable to return the ram you could always attempt an overclock. Many 3200 speed memory can reach 3600 speeds without even a voltage bump. I haven't had the oportunity to play with Patriot ram since DDR3 though.

I'm actually eligible to return the RAM, so I can swap it for a 3600.

For a development machine, I would recommend 32gb RAM minimum.

Good tip. Thanks.

Back