• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 6700k OC Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itsELM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the hours and hours of useful info here, it really helps!

Quick question, I have a i7 6700k with the h1001 corsair cpu water cooler. 32gb ram, 1080gtx hybrid.

I OCed it to 4.3mhz and its sitting at 1.37V. I went to 4.4v and it averaged 1.43V which in my mind is too high.

Could this be just a crappy chip and I cant get higher then 4.3ish before its maxed or can I go higher?

Thanks alot!

How are you doing the overclock, through the bios or with a program? It sounds like your core voltage is set on auto so the motherboard is seeing the voltage where it thinks it needs to be. These auto values tend to be higher than needed so you probably have a good bit of headroom left in that chip with some adjustments.

That's a 100mhz overclock...

That voltage is way too high for those clocks. As Lochekey said, you are likely on auto. I'd start out at 1.3V set manually and see how far that takes you. 1.4V for 4.4ghz is incredibly high for the clockspeed.

Sounds like 4.3GHz it is maxing out the Chip and needs more Vcore like you have done to get it stable.

Thanks alot guys. I did this in bios, I do believe my Vcore. I set my Vcore to 1.35 at 4.4 but it gave me an error saying my OC has failed and makes me restart bios. I mean 4.3 at 1.36 with the i7 6700k is pretty bad from what I have read.
Is it a bad chip or is there something else I can adjust, maybe another option is set to auto in bios?

I would go into bios set everything to auto then reboot back into bios. After this set your vcore to 1.3v in manual and then try raising your multiplier by 1. Then boot to Windows and stress test watching your temps. If everything looks good raise the multiplier by 1 and repeat.

What motherboard do you have by the way and what RAM? Do you have xmp enabled on the ram?

Thank you very much, do you mean: 40-41-42 etc for Multy? I have the Asus z170 pro AURA, 32 gb Gsaw ram. How long should the stress test be for also?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I enabled my XMP after i set it back to 4.3 , so it is now yes, I read i leave it off until I get the right mhz?

Yea leave the ram at stock speeds until you get the cup right. That will enable troubleshooting tyre cpu without problems due to the memory.

Yes exactly on the multiplier. As forthe stress test just a few minutes for now to see what temps you are hitting.

Back