• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new power supply old house

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ecthellion

My old psu seems to be dying, its a corsair ax1200 ive had for about 5 years know. everytime i game the computer will shut off after about 5 to 10 seconds and i get a message upon boot up that psu is faulty and needs to be replaced. i just purchased a corsair ax1200i. The electrical on this house has never been redone since it was built, my greatgrandfather had it built about i would say 60 years ago. Should i invest in surge protector and if so what should i get, having the electrical here redone is on my list of things to do, but what should i do in the mean ttime. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated. thx!!

You are sure your new PSU purchase has resolved the issue? Why 1.2KW? Are you running 3/4 GPUs? Can you list system specs?

Anyway, assuming the PSU went bad, I would get a UPS. Not my level of expertise, but, its been asked here before if you search while you wait for details. :)

mobo rog rampage v edition 10
cpu: core i7 6850k 4.0ghz (would like to o/c a bit higher) watercooled
asus xonar d2x 7.1
gtx 980 watercooled on its own loop
2 mcp655 pumps
kingston hyperx predator 32gigs
planning on upgrading to a gtx 1080 may or may not get a couple more which is why i went with an ax1200i
do you have any ups's you could recomend

i get a message upon boot up that psu is faulty and needs to be replaced.

What motherboard is that? The closest thing I heard was Asus anti-surge on later Asus motherboards.
(And I dunno how well it even works, may have a tendency to falsely report power problems, may be dumb enough to assume just because of an unexpected power outage.)

What motherboard is that? The closest thing I heard was Asus anti-surge on later Asus motherboards.
(And I dunno how well it even works, may have a tendency to falsely report power problems, may be dumb enough to assume just because of an unexpected power outage.)

It's an Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10 just like he listed. A high-end X99 board to run his i7-6850K.

no it wasnt after a blackout, it was after gamming, although we do tend to have frequent blackouts in this area, so i dont have no idea how reliable the power coming into the house is

- - - Updated - - -

another thing to note, the current psu that im using has tripped the breaker in the house when used in conjuntion with too many devices on the circuit.

another thing to note, the current psu that im using has tripped the breaker in the house when used in conjuntion with too many devices on the circuit.

Just as a note, the fact that you tripped the breaker has no direct correlation to the psu. It is more based on the load being developed by the rest of your system.

Have you tried testing your outlet with a voltmeter to see if you have a steady voltage supply and or low voltage?

no i havent done that yet, i need to get a voltmeter, and honestly ive never used one before so i dont know what i would be looking for

- - - Updated - - -

would black outs affect the psu if i was gaming while it happened? that has happened a few times in past the past

would black outs affect the psu if i was gaming while it happened? that has happened a few times in past the past
Does an engine where its fuel was cutoff still run??????????????? You have 2 pumps and one loop? I am more confused over the lopsided build than I am the power issues, LOL!

Anyway, something like this would be good: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102133

That may help, but, seems like you need to get your power in order sooner rather than later.

i meant would a blackout damage the psu.
i have my cpu and gpu watercooled but they are on seperate loops which is why i have 2 pumps

ya me and my buddy debate that all the time, i just like having each component on its own loop.

thx for the suggestions, earthdog im going to look into getting that ups you posted.

one question tho i was looking at the one you posted and thats only provides 810 watts, would that work for a 1200 watt psu??

Your system draws 350W when fully overclocked and maxed out. Stock around 275. It will be fine.

The psu isn't constantly providing 1200w.

A ups sounds like you're best bet .
Running a new circuit for your PC is pretty easy as long as you have room in your Pnl.

If you was more help with running a new circuit just ask I'm a electrian.

I'm convinced my old wiring killed my AX1200i

There's no grounding and it's the old and DANGEROUS ragwire....
I say dangerous because if you ever move it too much the sheath literally would crumble in wiring that old

It's not the old knob and tube stuff but still rather old.

I get a VERY NASTY jolt if I touch any unpainted surface of my HAFX with moist skin.

I've got everything running to an APC XS1500 backup but it's not grounded either

Back