• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What To Do With Old PC's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

As I'm am in the process of building a new machine, I am thinking what to do with my old one? I ended up gifting my first PC to my nephew. The second one I built? I don't really remember...that's another story for another day...Right now, I need to be thinking of where to take it this one.

I think I figured out how to wipe the drives in BIOS. So I will get that done first.

Then I here it's a good idea to " Re-Apply" Thermal compound after 5 years. Should I do that too?

Thank you ALL so much for your time! :cool:

How old is the old one? If we're looking at under 10 years, it'll still have resale value. Depends on exact spec, might not be much, but it will be something. Much older than that gets more difficult to sell, unless it is so old it becomes "retro" collectable.

Giving it to those who need it is an option, friends, family, charity.

Thermal compound doesn't need to be redone unless it is going off. Depends how good it was in the first place.

Old one.......................... the one your signature??

Sell it as a whole, or part it out for more $ if you have the time and patience. Give it away.... do whatever except throw it away, lol.

Ok, now that we have the PC in question identified, lol...

You can put it up here (read the rules for it). But there are not a lot of active buyers. Local craigslist, ebay, etc.

No clue offhand. I typically look around other sites/ebay and look for the hardware there (sold/completed auctions).

Do you have any government re-training centres in your area? They don't need high spec PCs as alot of them just use UNIX terminals. A PC like yours running Linux will serve many users learning UNIX/C++/Python/Javascript. They get some government funding to teach people that needs skills then place those people on assignments for a couple of months with companies in the hope that the company will take them on. Unfortunately governement funding doesn't stretch very far, and they would love your PC as a LINUX host...It'll give a young and older people a chance to carve out a career...

Do you have any government re-training centres in your area? They don't need high spec PCs as alot of them just use UNIX terminals. A PC like yours running Linux will serve many users learning UNIX/C++/Python/Javascript. They get some government funding to teach people that needs skills then place those people on assignments for a couple of months with companies in the hope that the company will take them on. Unfortunately governement funding doesn't stretch very far, and they would love your PC as a LINUX host...It'll give a young and older people a chance to carve out a career...
Thanks I will consider that.

I say keep it and use it as a dedicated folder for T32. You can also (in addition to) use it as a media server. Install Plex and rip your DVDs/Blue Rays and view them from any machine in the world. Bored while waiting for the Dr to arrive in your room, pull up a TV show you have.

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm gonna ask around to sell it to a local and see what I find.

Back