• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the new zen architectures be overclockable UNLIKE INTELS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh because we always need a link to back our statements....

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-zen-release-date-specs-prices-rumours

A slower octo-core you are going to overclock because you don't want to spend 500$ on the faster one but "think" a lower end board is going to handle the overclock.....

I dunno boys. Don't get super hyped on the efficiency and pricing deal. These are release pricing. Wait it out a good 6 months and those prices should come down.
That is rumored pricing. Nothing official has been released, and probably won't be until release day.

That is rumored pricing. Nothing official has been released, and probably won't be until release day.

That "rumor" is on multiple sites and likely to be pretty close to true.

Always priced high at release time and you know it. Look at all of AMD flag ship processors. All high priced. Even FX chips are still high in price considering the age of the technology.

Premiums on release day are nothing new for either manufacturer.

So your saying AMD charges the same for all there chipsets coming out. You are thinking out your a$$.
I do not know for a fact. That's the difference between me and you, I tell what I know without adding in my own opinion as fact without proof.
I can guaranty that the mobo manufacturers are adding a premium to the better chipsets though, regardless of what AMD is getting for them.

- - - Updated - - -

That "rumor" is on multiple sites and likely to be pretty close to true.
But at the end of the day, is still rumor.

I do not know for a fact. That's the difference between me and you, I tell what I know without adding in my own opinion as fact without proof.
I can guaranty that the mobo manufacturers are adding a premium to the better chipsets though, regardless of what AMD is getting for them.

- - - Updated - - -

But at the end of the day, is still rumor.

Hey I'm hoping for like 350$ for the top cpu. 500$ is way way out of my ball park spending figure. And even 350 is over my personal budget to buy a processor.

I hope for cheaper too.......but I won't hold my breath. AMD has bills to pay.

Well all you typed is Bull**** really. Total offence to give, cause I'm that kind of person.

And how power efficient do you suppose these chips are at 4.2ghz and up towards 200W??

B350 chipset is between plug and play and low/mid ranged board.

Want to overclock, we are looking for the X not the b.

We don't know how power efficient these chips are, we don't know how the cut down processors will OC on a B350 board.

You're totally missing the point, as most elitists do. Someone using a B350 can be a "serious overclocker" too. That is not for anyone to decide someone's level of commitment based on money spent.

The B350 chipset is not for you on your 8C/16T CPU to get the max overclock, but it still has a place according to AMD, and I believe them over you.

It will allow entry level customers with low funds buy an OC rig, if you can't understand it then that's fine. This is something intel doesn't provide to customers, they are not doing what intel do and locking down overclocking to one elite chipset.

You do realize that it's taking AMD 16 threads to accomplish Intels 8 thread multi-tasking abilities?

Do you have proof of that?

The X370 Chipset is going to support 'overclocking, it cost the board partners more to buy from AMD then the B350 chipset cost. Like Intel is doing with chipsets there making the board partners agree not to allow overclocking with B350 chipset.

I agree with the extra costs. B350 boards can OC though just to clarify.

View attachment 187879

I'm assuming a B350 board will be decent for a 4C possibly a 6C overclock. Hopefully one of the companies makes a beefy B350 board with powerful VRM but that is probably a dream, or something that will happen down the track as it would lose them money from selling the top chipset.

Last edited:
You do realize that it's taking AMD 16 threads to accomplish Intels 8 thread multi-tasking abilities?

Not sure what your point is here Shrimpy. The Ryzen blender event was 8/16 vs 8/16. They went up against the i7 6900k

I hope for cheaper too.......but I won't hold my breath. AMD has bills to pay.

^ I hope for them to be even with or below Intels.

Like I said on Zen Rumors, the last time AMD was on top (the 939 platform) they wanted $999.00 for their fastest CPU :(

^ I hope for them to be even with or below Intels.

Like I said on Zen Rumors, the last time AMD was on top (the 939 platform) they wanted $999.00 for their fastest CPU :(

Which would be what, $800 below Intel's current top dog? "Cheaper than Intel" still leaves a lot of wiggle room at present.

I totally agree Alaric, IF they are comparing to the 6900K and in real life can actually compete with or best this CPU, the consumer is getting the performance of a $1500 CDN CPU for what kind of $$$. Even half that price is a hell of a bargain $750 CDN is ~ $550 USD so I don't find that price or even a higher one unrealistic. AMD priced the Fiji too high and that bit them hard ( it's actually a decent GPU) so it's unlikely they'll price on par with their competitor this time around. But they're not going to sell themselves short either. Speaking in CDN terms I'm expecting the $7-900.00 range for their high-end CPU. Just my opinion

I don't like apples to oranges comparisons...

Sure, it's $700 less than the 6950x, but, it's a deca-core... can't really compare it IMO. Need to compare it against 8c/16t cpu pricing.

My pricing predictions are in the original rumor thread, lol!

Back