• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the new zen architectures be overclockable UNLIKE INTELS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome... I would take a look at the AMD Zen rumors thread we have going on and see. But we have to imagine it should be a decent overclocker. Only time will tell.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/758183-AMD-ZEN-Rumours

I'd gear down a bit with the screw you intel sentiment. That is a pretty polarizing/trolling type of comment... not how we do things here. Can you edit that out and tone down the rhetoric please? :)

I get that... but, its not how we do things here is bash AMD or Intel like that. :)

I edited your title...

AMD will be going the same way as Intel more $ if you want overclocking. Intel does it with the CPU and mb chipset . AMD is doing just chipset but still extra if you want to OC.

Good to know AMD is not changing there practices like Intel did when they went to locked CPU's.

Good to know AMD is not changing there practices like Intel did when they went to locked CPU's.

They can't afford to, they need customers to have every reason possible to choose them.

The tactics that intel and nvidia have made while being on top have only made them enemies imo.

AMD will be going the same way as Intel more $ if you want overclocking. Intel does it with the CPU and mb chipset . AMD is doing just chipset but still extra if you want to OC.

Yes and no, I'd say. Only the low end boards won't OC and no word really on the 300 chipset but I do think they will have a similar breakdown since it shows an X/B/A 300 option.

AMD-X370-AM4-B350-AM4-A320-AM4-A300-AM4-Chipsets-840x473.png

Now I noticed that but if X370 really has 2x16 PCIE lanes then it's already better than Z100/200 chipsets. I wonder how they split all lanes but I saw there is ITX confirmed with X370 chipset what gives me hopes on 1x16 PCIE slot + 2x M.2 in RAID on higher than PCIE X4 bandwidth :D ... now only to see 4200+ DDR4 support and upgrade option in next gen chips to 16 cores+ :)

Now I noticed that but if X370 really has 2x16 PCIE lanes then it's already better than Z100/200 chipsets. I wonder how they split all lanes but I saw there is ITX confirmed with X370 chipset what gives me hopes on 1x16 PCIE slot + 2x M.2 in RAID on higher than PCIE X4 bandwidth :D ... now only to see 4200+ DDR4 support and upgrade option in next gen chips to 16 cores+ :)

Someone has already mentioned that Ryzen will have 24 PCIe lanes (NB is in CPU). This would break down as - x16+x8 or x8+x8+x8 unless the SB has something to give??

Someone has already mentioned that Ryzen will have 24 PCIe lanes (NB is in CPU). This would break down as - x16+x8 or x8+x8+x8 unless the SB has something to give??

On the Ryzen most of the SB functionality has been incorporated onto the die. The NB being on die is old news for AMD about 15 years old news. According to what I have read the X370 chipset add PCIe functionality for up to 2X x16 PCIe3 just for CFX SLI.
The CPU itself could technically run GFX, USB, SATA all by itself without a chipset

Not really, those low end boards you cannot OC with will be built around such low end VRM configurations it would basically be pointless anyway.

The VRM configurations will vary on B350 motherboards (that can still OC) and some of them will be crap for OC anyway I imagine. Note the B350 pictured here is stripped down obviously.

giga b350.jpg

You wouldn't really want a weaker VRM than this overclockable B350, even for a 4C/8T. Intel won't even let you OC on a board that clearly has a reasonable VRM due to locking down all but one chipset so I don't agree that AMD is going the same way. They are just trying to make it clear to the customer which board they need.

When you see an AMD motherboard that looks like this intel B250.................

msi-b250-pc-mate-intel-motherboard-1000PX-V1-0006.jpg

You'll be able to overclock. This board with it's extravagant heatsinks etc makes no functional sense being locked.

Last edited:
That first board isn't that weak, just looks poor without heatsinks etc. 7 phase ( 6+1 or something, hard to say ) is just right to push any CPU to ~5GHz. It's just that we are used to see much more than we need. Most gaming motherboards have 6+ CPU phases when even 4 are enough for OC. I'm not complaining when I get more, I just see that if anyone sees 4+2 or similar design then it's automatically "meh".
I was benching ITX 5 phase board ( 4+1 or something ) on dice at the end of last year and I had no issues to run tests on 6700K @5.4GHz. In this case if power section will be good quality then smaller ( ITX, mATX ) 4+2 phase boards will be still good option also for overclocking.
One more look at both boards and actually first one has more phases but 2nd one looks much better ( hard to say if quality is the same ). But which one would sell better if both were for the same CPU ?

Intel made clear that the only chipsets for OC are Z and X and the only CPUs are with K. However Intel is not manufacturing motherboards for mass market anymore. All other manufacturers are giving us cheaper chipsets in gaming series with flashy stuff just because it will sell better and most users are not really overclocking anyway. Most users also don't want to pay premium for something they won't use. Still marketing is strong so many users buy stuff they don't really need and feel they made the right choice.

Last edited:
I'll try again as I kinda failed in explaining my theory :)

Take a board like the Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 (7 phase) for example. This board appears to be powerful enough to OC, yet is locked down.

By locking down only a single chipset to overclocking they are limiting the customer choice. Whereas AMD have left the top, and a medium featured chipset that can OC, allowing more choice for the consumer, (of course due to manufacturers being able to make a broader range of boards from uber mini/micro to more cut down.)

This will be a big advantage for AMD imo when it comes to choosing either build. If it goes the way of intel and only the top chipset can OC then it will be a sad day, I highly doubt it anytime soon though.

Back