• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Black Edition: Even worth pushing it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

easye

Registered
All,

I just recently got the XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Black Edition (w/ Hard Swap Fan kit for $202 shipped :D).

It currently gets a Fire Strike score of around ~10,500 total and 13,700ish graphics only.

I had the ASUS DUAL RX 480 4GB and it topped out with an extreme OC at 9,929 and it was SO LOUD. So I returned that thing.

This card is an absolute BEAUT.

That being said, is it worth pushing the card up any higher or just leave it at stock?

Thank you,
Chris

All,

I just recently got the XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Black Edition (w/ Hard Swap Fan kit for $202 shipped :D).

It currently gets a Fire Strike score of around ~10,500 total and 13,700ish graphics only.

I had the ASUS DUAL RX 480 4GB and it topped out with an extreme OC at 9,929 and it was SO LOUD. So I returned that thing.

This card is an absolute BEAUT.

That being said, is it worth pushing the card up any higher or just leave it at stock?

Thank you,
Chris

If you hit your monitor refresh rate@stock, no need, unless you're benching.

Let's assume that you play on a "mainstream" refresh rate, 60Hz/FPS, as soon as your frame rate doesn't drop below 60 FPS (V Sync off) or stay at a constant 60FPS (Sync on), you're good. Same goes for 120/144Hz(120/144FPS).

I paid around 285 € w/out fans :eh?: Nice deal!

If it's worth it, that's a question only you can answer. Tír na nÓg gave you a good starting point but I'm sure the 480 will not handle every title at 60 fps.

The GTR BE is a really solid card, you're not doing anything wrong leaving it where it is as it already is a nice increase over the reference design.

In the end overclocking is a good way to get a few percent extra performance without paying extra. So I'd say go for it :thup: Or take a look at undervolting the card for better temps (and less power draw) if you're concerned with overclocking.

edit: Just did a quick run with my settings: 11 100 and 14725. And I didn't even push the card (yet). There's headroom left, but as Tir pointed out, you need to decide if you need it (depends on your games and settings).

Last edited:
Just tested mine, 11927, 14218. Overclocked to 1350 2120, to show what a moderate overclock can do.

Holy ****! That's incredible boost. Did you use MSI Afterburner? Can you share screenshot? I assume it runs stable?

However, is it possible your Processor is helping out that Total Score? I believe the i7-6700k is much stronger than the i5-4670k.

His cpu has more cores and slightly faster single core performamce. The physics test in there is strictly cpu and affects the total score, correct.

His cpu has more cores and slightly faster single core performamce. The physics test in there is strictly cpu and affects the total score, correct.

Thanks. I think unless I am not getting the performance (as previous posters mentioned), I will just keep it at stock. I have been busy so I haven't been able to try out the new Resident Evil or BF1.

Holy ****! That's incredible boost. Did you use MSI Afterburner? Can you share screenshot? I assume it runs stable?

However, is it possible your Processor is helping out that Total Score? I believe the i7-6700k is much stronger than the i5-4670k.

Yeah, the processor is probably affecting the score a bit, and maybe ram as well, as that is DDR4 3000 MHz

Yes, I used MSI Afterburner, I had to unlock the 50% power limit, and bring that slider up to max.

I have +24mV, and while it is stable for the most part, it does occasionally crash and revert after long sessions, so it isn't quite locked in.

I tried to clock the memory higher, but any higher results in memory errors in the gpu according to HWinfo64. It did complete a benchmark at 2250 memory(Max possible memory overclock without a bios swap and custom timings) but I was getting around 2-4 memory errors a second...

I didn't want to up the voltage any more as it was already spiking to 1.263 volts, and the maximum "safe" voltage is 1.25 or so.

My card has a 8 pin connector vs the reference 6 pin, so it is able to supply more power than reference.

As for screenshot, I'll edit post in a sec.

EDIT: Its being a jerk right now and not creating the screenshot though prnt screen or msi afterburner screenshot. /sigh

I didn't win the silicon lottery with it though, there are cards that can push 1400-1450 with very minimal voltage. Mine can't go much further than 1350, and even 1350 isnt 100% stable.

I will say this, there are very few games right now that it struggles with to maintain 60 fps. Star citizen, and Space engineers are two that it cant with max settings. Haven't really tested high strain games on it though, When I have time, I will go around and do individual game overclocking profiles in wattman, and underclock it for games that don't need all that power, to try and offset the strain from the overclock on the rougher titles.

I will also be buying another one in two-three months for crossfire, or even the new cards being released(price dependent) and run a old/new generation crossfire setup, assuming any gains are to be had.

Last edited:
Since we all use different CPUs you'd have to compare the graphics score imo.

I use wattman personally as it already should come with your drivers. As you can see the GTR BE has already a good basis, Suppressor1137 maxes out at 1350 Mhz while our base clock is already at 1340 Mhz.

screen.png

I attached you my settings if your interested. A few words:

I raised the fan curve (1500 3250) but while gaming I wear headphones anyway, not that the card gets loud with that settings though.

I kept the stock temperature target but lowered the max temps to 85 °C.

Obviously power limit +50%.

What I'd really recommend to you, throw in 2100 Mhz on the memory and 1375 Mhz on the core without touching the voltages and see what happens. This should give you a nice increase with just a few clicks. Of course every system is different so please monitor your temps of course when testing these settings first. Might as well be that I got lucky with the 1400 Mhz and you won't even see the 1375 Mhz without further adjustments. In this case leave the core clock and just put the mem on 2100 Mhz (the card does benefit from that).

And if you smelled blood from that, come back here for fine tuning ;)

Since we all use different CPUs you'd have to compare the graphics score imo.

I use wattman personally as it already should come with your drivers. As you can see the GTR BE has already a good basis, Suppressor1137 maxes out at 1350 Mhz while our base clock is already at 1340 Mhz.

SNIP---

I imagine it could go higher, but for a 24/7 overclock, there is a happy middleground.

I just don't see the benefit of going 20 mhz higher for a marginal 1-3 fps gain, at least with my card.(voltage, mainly.) :p

Mine became unstable at even a slight OC, so it's running stock clock now... Not even under load either... Windows would lock up and reboot shortly after startup. After the 2nd time I got a popup notification from Crimson saying it reverted to default settings, and haven't had a problem since...

Didn't need to OC to begin with, was just playing with settings :p

Back