• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with Water Wetter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well we all have our opinions but I think their claims are due to marketing their products I've used distilled and dead water for the last 5-6 years and never had an issue but I do frequent fills and flushes mostly due to reconfigured specs. I guess if you plan on leaving it for a long time their claims may be valid for them

There is only 1 major reason I am using these vendor mixes. That is for a good balance of bio inhibitors and corrosion inhibitors. I used the water wetter because that was suppose to be one way to get corrosion inhibitors in your mix. That was a bust. So I then moved on to what was suppose to be a decent brand of mix and it was a soapy mess so far. I am hoping that changes, but I just do not want to risk corrosion in my system to the point of a failure.

I run several thousand dollars worth of gear in several of my systems so a little extra on coolant that might reduce the chances of a corrosion based failure seem worth the expenditure even if for just the peace of mind.

Been running de-Ionized water + kill coil for 10+ years never had a problem sometimes 1-2 years inbetween changing fluids. Back in the heater core days ran water + anti freeze (bmw blue ) but after drinking some by mistake I dont keep it around my PC in a Blueberry juice bottle .

Ouch never did the antifreeze in my days but did use water wetter back then. Also did denatured alcohol when I went sub zero.

I understand your desires to protect your thousands of dollar investment we all are in the same boat shi(r)t I just dropped 800$ at PPCs and that didn't include any blocks just a rad pump fittings and tubing but imagine how much more it would/could of been if I did premixed liquids at say 15$ per liter and the drain and reconfigures I had to do to get it perfect. Just not cost effective for me.

I think its silly spending hundreds if not thousands on gear and DIY the fluid which won't be balanced properly as a premix would have it done, all in the name of $20 annually. Makes no sense to me. Yes, some folks have gone for years with no issues. I have said I have gone for almost 5 years distilled and silver but my CPU blocks, 3 of them to be exact and QDCs from Koolance did not dance well. Oxidization up the ying yang. I wanted nothing of it and have made the switch not long ago. My premix fluid looks great and the system feeling happy.

I originally thought it was a marketing ploy to purchase their fluids but that all changed after seeing quite often the issues with nickle, for example. We've been warned about this for a long time now and I think its time we evolve around this idea and the sake of other folk's gear. Not worth the gamble imo.

Last edited:
I will wait for your first tear down GTXJackBauer before I drink the koolaid.

IMO, the most important part of WC is cleaning your gear thoroughly and keeping it sterile prior to filling. Everything else is secondary.

I run blue windshield washer fluid or distilled water with rubbing alcohol.

To prevent O-ring deterioration, I simply apply di-electric grease, a thin coating all around the o-ring, and it prevents rubber break down.

I see it all the time in the newer DD13 and Mercedes motors. They use it on the Coolant, Oil and Fuel Filter caps. I've yet to see any O-ring within a years time break down at all. They keep a perfect seal even on the fuel filter.

So if you regularly once a year do a PM (preventative Maintenance) to your tractor/Car, you should do it to your PC rig too.

Just a friendly mechanics secret to any of you Water Cooling Fanatics whom have issues with any type of build up or corrosion issues.

di-electric grease on the o-ring ;)

Very informative post thus far. I was on the fence about what to run as well as far as coolant in my custom loop. I think Ill buy premix this time around and see how it holds up.

Very informative post thus far. I was on the fence about what to run as well as far as coolant in my custom loop. I think Ill buy premix this time around and see how it holds up.

Hopefully you find a good premix the first time. Im still waiting on XSPC to ship the replacement bottle for this soapy crap I was sent the first time. I am probably just going to run to microcenter and pickup some there this time around. At least then if I have an issue I can address it same day.

I just feel like microcenter is trying to do less and less of the watercooling components. Last time I talked to them there when getting a few things I was informed that they were no longer ordering about half of the different brand/styles of fittings and that they were going to stop carrying a few of the rads too. So was forced to order stuff online.

I would avoid Water Wetter if you are using acrylic in the system, such as your res. Although it took a long time, my first acrylic res did develop crazing, though never fully cracked through. Most of the edges of the acrylic was also cloudy, as if acrylic cement had leached out the bonded ends.

After that, I went with just distilled water, silver coils/tubing, and biocide. No problems since.

Just want to say XSPC finally shipped me a replacement bottle of their coolant. No bubbles/suds at all so far. Also that other coolant must have been horrible for carrying heat as my CPU temps under load have dropped another 3-5C and on top of all that... My water temps have dropped as well under max load. So definately a improvement, but then again I had good temps on both water and cpu before so it isn't like it was the end of the world.

But at same ambient as before I swapped and running a stress test for about 30 minutes to get water temp saturated I am sitting about 1.2-1.5C cooler on water temps under load.

Anyways good coolant over poor coolant DOES make a difference.

Back