• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed. Older build. Need advice for overclocking and/or optimizing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thugmax

Just built a budget pc from parts found online. Components are as follows
AMD A10 7860K Godavari 3.6 GHz
ASRock A88M-ITX/AC R2.0 Socket FM2+/ AMD A88X/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ M.2/ WiFi/
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin 2133 MHz (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory M
Kingston 240GB HyperX SSD SH100S3B/240G 2.5" SATA 3.0
AMD Sapphire HD 7870 XT 2GB with Boost
DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 120EX WHITE CPU Liquid Cooler
Microsoft Window 10 Pro 64
Everything installed into a Thermaltake Core v1 mini-ITX chassis.

Here is my 3Dmark result. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18355718
My passmark score was about 2080 if im remembering right. I didnt purchase full versions as I only planned on using them for this pc only.

I understand this may not be the optimal build , but I was working with a budget and and got some of the components for a steal. I dont game very much, and mainly use the pc for running usb connected equip for my business (software run chargers, microscope, data transfer). But occasionally I enjoy a decent fps game and want to be able to run it . Thanks in advance....

What are you cooling the CPU with? That would be my concern with overclocking it, especially in a mini ITX case where space and ventilation are in short supply.

Actually, I doubt if you will get much more performance out of that hardware and I think you need to consider moving to a kaby lake i5 and a newer video card like the AMD Rx 480. You would need a new motherboard, a new CPU, and new memory in addition to the video card.

Back