• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx 9370 4.7ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nazirzreiby

my pc started freezing out of nowhere couple weeks ago , sometimes it freezes within 20 minutes of start sometimes 2 minutes sometimes within second , and it doesn’t matter what i have on , so i ran separate stress tests on the cpu ,video card, everything that aida 64 and prime 95 can test and most of the time i couldn’t complete the tests cause it freezes in the process , i kind of gave up cause didn’t know what to do however 3 days ago i decided to lower my cpu speed down which i did and now am at 3.1 ghz and am not having the freezing problems any more , is my cpu corrupted it , is any of my cores is damaged cause i really want to go back to full speed any advice please.

Smells like a temperature and/or voltage issue. I know the guys who have experience with the 9xxx series FX CPUs will be able to help you, but, for starters, they will want some more details on your system. Please take a look at my signature and put something similar to that in the thread so they are ready to rock with helping you! Also, welcome to OCForums!

thank you for the reply let me see here !!
System summary:
Windows 10 build 14393 (64-bit),
1 x AMD FX(tm)-9370 Eight-Core Processor [3318.2 MHz],
31.9GB RAM,
AMD Radeon R9 290X,
Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Motherboard Name: CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version: 2201
BIOS Release Date: 03/23/2015
CPU manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Type: AMD FX(tm)-9370 Eight-Core Processor
CPUID: Family 15, Model 2, Stepping 0, Revision OR-C2
Physical CPU's: 1
Cores per CPU: 4
CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 SSE4a DEP PAE AMD64 AES Turbo core AVX XOP FMA3 FMA4
Clock frequencies:
- Measured CPU speed: 3318.2 MHz [Turbo core: 3538.9MHz]
- Multiplier: x22.0 [Turbo core: x23.5]
- Reference Clock: 150.8 MHz
Cache per CPU package:
- L1 Instruction Cache: 8 x 16 KB
- L1 data cache: 8 x 64 KB
- L2 cache: 8 x 2 MB
- L3 cache: 8 MB
Total Physical Memory: 32665MB
Available Physical Memory: 28919MB
Memory devices:
Slot 1:
- 8GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-19207
- G Skill Intl F3-2400C11-8GXM
- XMP: 1.65V, Clk: 1200.5MHz, Timings 11-13-13-31

cpu air cooling :Cooler Master V8 GTS
i have 4 120 mm cooler master fans ,1 140 mm
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Computer Case
LEPA G1200 PS

It was fine up until a few months ago? What has changed:

Room ambient temps increase?
Added more RAM?
Add a new GPU (particularly a non-blower style GPU)?
What was the thermal paste used on the CPU/heatsink?
When was it applied?

Just trying to narrow down what's going on here. :)

no sir added nothing to it since i assembled it about 17 months ago till now no issues what so ever its just started i dont know , am puzzled like i said after i lowered the cpu speed its all good i can go up to 4.0 ghz after that it freezes , by the way i took to geek squad they claimed nothing wrong with it i also took it to micro center and success there either. as for the thermal paste i used the cooler master thermal fusion it came with the cooler master V8 and it was applied about the same time like 17 months ago as far the room temperature my ac is always on 60f

no sir added nothing to it since i assembled it about 17 months ago till now no issues what so ever its just started i dont know , am puzzled like i said after i lowered the cpu speed its all good i can go up to 4.0 ghz after that it freezes , by the way i took to geek squad they claimed nothing wrong with it i also took it to micro center and success there either. as for the thermal paste i used the cooler master thermal fusion it came with the cooler master V8 and it was applied about the same time like 17 months ago as far the room temperature my ac is always on 60f
What's your temps when running a stress test?

I usually do a prime95 blended stress test. Use something like hwinfo64 or hwmonitor to keep an eye on temps. Then take a screenshot​ of it after 20 mins. Try and capture both the Mobo sensors and the CPU sensors.

Those temps are pretty high for your CPU freq. Do you still have some more thermal paste? If you do, you might need to redo the thermal paste. Your cooler should be better than my 212 Evo, yet I had better temps for roughly the same voltage @4.2ghz.

Actually. Hold on that. Bring your clocks up 100mhz at a time. Rerun the test, keep an eye on the CPU package temp, that should stay well under 62C. The Mobo CPU temp reading (usually it is actually a socket temp reading) should stay under 72C

32 gb of 2400 mhz RAM. That's putting a lot of strain on the IMC.
This is what I was thinking as well Mr T. Though, those temps are a bit warm. I suppose the OP dropped the Cpu speed but the voltage is still on auto?

Screenshots show 1.464v which in a cooler barely better then a CM212 is waaaaaaaay too much especially if you're underclocked ;)

what s going on ??? i did add thermal actually i cleaned it up good first and added some of the arctic silver 5 thermal paste and i could get any test done cause it freezes all the way now am running at 3.31 GHz so far haven't frozen yet , so basically am running a test at 3.31 to see

What we are saying is that the size of your cooler is not adequate for overclocking. There would be other problems too if you are not stable at stock speeds and voltages.

Personally, I fear you have damaged your IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) by overtaxing it with a large amount of high speed RAM. The FX CPUs had an IMC rated for 1600 mhz I believe but would usually handle 1866 without a problem as long as the amount of RAM was not excessive. You have pushed way beyond that envelope. The IMC is built into the CPU so even if the motherboard will run high speed RAM the CPU may not. Intel CPUs in that same generation would have no problem with running 2400 mhz RAM.

You might try pulling out two sticks of RAM and setting the remaining two for a lower frequency to test that theory.

Last edited:
Back