• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non liquid metal tim suggestion between IHS and cpu die. (delid)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can use LU on the topside but every time you remove the heat sink you risk scattering metal flakes on the motherboard and/or video card electrical circuitry as the two components (IHS and cooler) separate. Believe me, I've done this and it isn't any fun. Besides, the temp drops you see from using it on the top side are much less than you will see by using LU on the underside of the IHS. Maybe 2-4c improvement when used on the top side when compared to using a good conventional paste.

Last edited:
Cool, well i have ordered LU under and gelid extreme on top, seems that it cant be any better combination than this.
Also have anyone of you tried "lapping" top of your IHS or heatsink for better contact, does it worth the effort, 50% ppl tell that it didnt help or made it worse other half that it improved temperature by 10C or so.
Some people apply CLU both on die and 'under' IHS, have anyone tried and is it worth ti?

I have tried lapping the top of the IHS on a couple of Haswell CPUs after delidding and I do not think it helped at all. It was a waste of time and it takes a lot of time to lap a lid. It was also as waste of money because you have to buy several grades of sand paper. Intel makes the IHS on their modern CPUs with a slightly concave configuration. This helps keep the TIM from pumping out and also causes the clamping pressure to be born more by the edges of the IHS than the center where it might damage the die underneath.

As Manny said gelid and Thermal grizzly are my go to pastes. The NT-h1 only performs slightly behind these 2 though. You can see a comparison of them here.

I have been finding Gelid to suck lately. Anyone else? maybe they've had some bad batches? I used to love it but I am getting nothing but high temps when using it lately.

I have tried lapping the top of the IHS on a couple of Haswell CPUs after delidding and I do not think it helped at all. It was a waste of time and it takes a lot of time to lap a lid. It was also as waste of money because you have to buy several grades of sand paper. Intel makes the IHS on their modern CPUs with a slightly concave configuration. This helps keep the TIM from pumping out and also causes the clamping pressure to be born more by the edges of the IHS than the center where it might damage the die underneath.

That explains the issues I've seen.

I have been finding Gelid to suck lately. Anyone else? maybe they've had some bad batches? I used to love it but I am getting nothing but high temps when using it lately.

I recently bought a new tube and it is performing to expectation. I even tested it and it performed right in line with the Kryonaut.

I recently bought a new tube and it is performing to expectation. I even tested it and it performed right in line with the Kryonaut.

Perhaps I have been expecting too much from Skylake and Kaby Lake. My 6700K and 7700K idle cool, but loads on stock frequencies have been in the 80s. Same cooler keps my Good ol' 6 core Xeon 5670 cold at 4.2GHz. I have gone back and re-applied the paste several times and can't seem to do any better.

Perhaps I have been expecting too much from Skylake and Kaby Lake. My 6700K and 7700K idle cool, but loads on stock frequencies have been in the 80s. Same cooler keps my Good ol' 6 core Xeon 5670 cold at 4.2GHz. I have gone back and re-applied the paste several times and can't seem to do any better.
Some of the Haswell, Sky Lake and Kaby Lake processors tend to run hot. From what I've read it seems to be caused by too much glue holding the IHS to the Pcb. Which in turn causes the Ihs to sit slightly higher off the die. This is where delidding will usually help. I personally have a 4770k that runs really hot, it will only do 4.4 stable on a full custom loop due to temps.

Im back! So have changed from NT-H1 (DIE-ISH) NT-H1 (ISH-HS) to CLU (DIE-ISH) Gelid extreme (ISH-HS) got 25C drop at highest core. Prime95 4.8GHZ 1.360v 66C max core after 1 hour (stopped rising after 30min) Got so hyped right now :D
Thanks for helpin me!

Hmm interesting. I've been using NT-H1 on (DIE-ISH) and (ISH-WB) and have zero temp issues like what the OP was having. Lowered temps are always a bonus tho!

Pretty much day and night, i didnt believe CLU will make this difference, have used CM essentials then NT-H1, difference from CLU is huge. Just did some runs of prime95 to test 4.9GHZ at 1.390v max temperature stay under 70C and fans are on half of the speed. And its all on AIR cooler.

Back