• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Found a couple of power conditioners - what would you use them for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
What could an average household do with these?
Also do they consume enough power to be a cost concern?

Are they better than decent power surge protectors we ordinarily buy to protect computer and TV/stereo equipment... maybe for that?

PowerConditioner1.jpg

PowerConditioner2.jpg

Power conditioners usually dont have a very high surge rating. What they are generally used for is removing harmonic resonance from line power and stabilize the voltage being supplied to sensitive electronics.

When I used to do a lot of DJ or sound engineering type of work I would always have everything that wasnt an amplifier or a high intensity light plugged into a power conditioner. At home could be used for stereo equipment or low power electronics. I wouldn't bother with connecting a high end PC to it as the PSU does a good job of cleaning up the power supplied to the VRM system, and a UPS would be a better choice.

Generally you also dont want any kind of inductive load attached to a conditioner as it will probably burn it out.

So nothing on the computer desk then...
Looking around me, there's the big screen TV / Blu-ray player and a Receiver/CD player/record player. Should I bother with connecting all those to the two power conditioners I have or...?

The stereo would benefit from the cleaner power for sure. Most turntables will suffer ever so slight RPM variation with changes in the frequency or voltage supplied to them. We we used to DJ with REAL RECORDS back in the day a quality power conditioner could be the difference between a studio grade mix and that one track that wont stay beat matched no matter how hard you try.

I doubt it would make a difference on the TV, but then again it never hurts to supply clean power to your electronics.

So you just answered the thread question... Use these on stereo components, other than a stereo amplifier.
What if you plugged a surge protector into the power conditioner then connected Receiver/CD player/record player/blu-ray player to the surge protector?

read the max output on there, its 75w. so be careful what you hook up.

Back