• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 6700k overclocking pointers needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

so, i want to try and push my i7 to 4.6 or 4.7 ghz 24/7

what kind of settings will i need to consider modifying beyond vcore, and what is considered a max safe 24/7 vcore for it?

I would change LLC, I found the best for my Asrock board was level 2. Max vcore I would run is 1.4v but some people say 1.45 is ok.

Maximum 1.44v for Vcore and 90c for temperature. Just up the Vcore a little and multiplier at the same time. Example 1.332v in HWmonitor for 4.5GHz.

My chip seems to be kind of a dud. I can hit 4.6 GHz (and do) but my VID CORE is set at 1.4v (reads 1.384v in HWMonitor). That and raising the multiplier is all I did.

My chip seems to be kind of a dud. I can hit 4.6 GHz (and do) but my VID CORE is set at 1.4v (reads 1.384v in HWMonitor). That and raising the multiplier is all I did.

That is a lot better than mine, I can't do 4.6GHz.

I don't know if 4.7 is stable on mine. That requires 1.45v and I don't want to run that voltage so I haven't tested it there. I saw it, but didn't like the voltage and went back down to 4.6 GHz.

Maximum 1.44v for Vcore and 90c for temperature. Just up the Vcore a little and multiplier at the same time.
This. Its really not complicated and hasnt been in generations. About the most you need to change is perhaps SA voltage when using high speed ram, nd llc if your bord droops alot, which on z270 i havent much of honestly.

Last edited:
I normally keep my cache lower than my core as I find that trying to match multis is more trouble than it is worth. I typically run the cache 3-4x lower than my core.

Whew, It likes to get HOT.

Ran p95 v 28.10 for 3 minutes, and temps spiked to 91c @ 4.6 ghz and 1.380v vid core.

Stopped the test to limit damage

temps.png

not seeing the voltage of 1.380 anywhere here, but its definitely set to that.

Whew, It likes to get HOT.

Ran p95 v 28.10 for 3 minutes, and temps spiked to 91c @ 4.6 ghz and 1.380v vid core.

Stopped the test to limit damage

not seeing the voltage of 1.380 anywhere here, but its definitely set to that.

You did not damage anything. The CPU will throttle at 100c and shutdown ~125c to prevent damage.

Decided to aim for 4.5 ghz and push voltage as low as possible. several attempts to lower voltage resulted in failed worker threads. Until I clean out my heatsink of dust and re-apply thermal paste*been about a year since I gave it a good cleaning* I'll try to push for 4.6 ghz again. As it stands now, Not going to happen, even with all the fans full bore.

Yeah, mine is 4.5gzh stable at 1.28v hitting mid 80s. If I try to push to 4.6 with 1.3v it will hit 90. I'm going to delid soon which will help with the temps. I'm also testing with the latest P95 which has AVX2 and creates a lot of heat.

I just ran Intel's stability test and didn't get anywhere near those temps.

Yeah, I'm rocking an air cooler, cryorig h5a. Its basically a beefier hyper 212 evo that supports 140mm fans.

That, and about 5 months worth of dust is clogging up the heatsink.

I know WHY they are really high, but my temps at 4.4 ghz where still within safe ranges on load so I never got around to dusting it out :p

Gotta grab some canned air tomorrow and give it a good dusting.

If I dusted my AIO I'd probably run cooler, too. LOL

I-Ah-My-...

DONT TEMPT ME TO SPEND MORE MONEY!!!

Tbh, It may be due to the extreme sparsity of the gc-extreme thermal compound I used. I didn't use enough, but the temps were good enough and I was too lazy. I need to work on that lol.

It is spread flat from about half a grain of rice.

When I dust it out, I'll just remove the heatsink and clean with 90% iso(rather than just a dry paper towel) and re-apply the thermal paste.

:p

I just started up hw monitor and prime 95 and noticed something odd..

Before the test starts, the frequencies read 4.5 ghz, but the second the test starts, it clocks down to 4 ghz. Stop the test, and clocks back up to 4.5 ghz.

I was like, "What? That 51c under load can't be right."

Well, thats why...

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Some motherboards have an AVX offset that drips the multiplier when running AVX code to help mitigate system overheating issues. Check your bios to see if you have thus and if it is enabled.

seems to have been the case. thanks. temps peaked at exactly 90c at 1.335.

completely stable. going to Lower voltage to lower temps a bit.rv

Back