• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 7 and B350 or X370?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tír na nÓg

Hi lads,

My X99 Extreme6 being dead, I think I am going to sell the 5820k in sig (will end in the classified as soon as I make my mind) and grab a R7.

A few questions here:
1 - It seems that going 1700 is the best choice as all those R7 overclock in the 4/4.1GHz range (according to reviews ;)). Is it still the case with new Bios revisions and such?
2 - What are the benefit of going X370 versus B350? It seems that it impacts neither Ram or CPU overclocking. Am I right?

I am leaning toward a R7 1700 + Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 or X370 Taichi.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

The X370 offers more overclocking features as well and additional power phases than the B350 chipset. The B350 is well suited for gaming but is a lesser board. Think of it like the 990FX vs 970FX.

Hi lads,

My X99 Extreme6 being dead, I think I am going to sell the 5820k in sig (will end in the classified as soon as I make my mind) and grab a R7.

A few questions here:
1 - It seems that going 1700 is the best choice as all those R7 overclock in the 4/4.1GHz range (according to reviews ;)). Is it still the case with new Bios revisions and such?
2 - What are the benefit of going X370 versus B350? It seems that it impacts neither Ram or CPU overclocking. Am I right?

I am leaning toward a R7 1700 + Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 or X370 Taichi.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

If you're looking at benching it then look for and x370 with external bclk generator. CHVI, K7 , Taichi. At present that's the only way to really tune the ram. If not benching then get whatever tickles your fancy and appeals to your wallet. I really think they're all going to be very close. I just worked on an MSI X370 SLI Plus that ran just fine at 4.0 VRM slightly warm but not bad in the same range as that Giga.

My experaince with B350 and X370 (ASUS boards only)

CH6 Gives highest degree of Overclocking, which should only be for benching like Johan said in his post.

The X370-Prime is a great board, but probably gives too many options if you intend to just OC and have a single card solution. However, the X370s will provide a better on-board audio quality (OEM dependent of course). So overall, you get all the bells and whistles you need for a good system to tinker with

B350 Hero is an awful board (At least from ASUS) It provides just about the same OC tools, but can meet the same OC potential with an 1800x between the X370-Prime. RAM OCing may need some extra effort or more time from mature BIOS. The Audio quality is super bad. These boards are also intended for single gpu solution only.

Personally, if you are getting advice from a bunch of overclockers, and since you like to overclock yourself, I would suggest any of the 2nd teir X370 boards. They provide all you need to get the job done, but not the tinker settings required for benchers. They are also valued at a great price ~($150-$200).

My experaince with B350 and X370 (ASUS boards only)

CH6 Gives highest degree of Overclocking, which should only be for benching like Johan said in his post.

The X370-Prime is a great board, but probably gives too many options if you intend to just OC and have a single card solution. However, the X370s will provide a better on-board audio quality (OEM dependent of course). So overall, you get all the bells and whistles you need for a good system to tinker with

B350 Hero is an awful board (At least from ASUS) It provides just about the same OC tools, but can meet the same OC potential with an 1800x between the X370-Prime. RAM OCing may need some extra effort or more time from mature BIOS. The Audio quality is super bad. These boards are also intended for single gpu solution only.

Personally, if you are getting advice from a bunch of overclockers, and since you like to overclock yourself, I would suggest any of the 2nd teir X370 boards. They provide all you need to get the job done, but not the tinker settings required for benchers. They are also valued at a great price ~($150-$200).

Thanks Dolk (you are the patient zero for many overclockers, including myself, with the Phenom II Overclocking guide ;)). I like to bench as well, but ambient only. Taichi looks sound! And I despise ASUS...

Most higher B350 will overclock the same as most X370. Cheaper X370 will be the best option just because of better power section so something like Prime X370 from Asus is just fine. If you wish bclk overclocking then you have to pay premium for top X370 boards ( 2x ASRock, ASUS CH6, one MSI and one Gigabyte and I think that's all ). However these most expensive boards won't give you much more than something like X370 Prime.
If you like overclocking on X99 and you wish to have 4GHz+ without issues then better pay some more for good X370 board or you will be really disappointed. For me Asus Prime X370-Pro is just right but is not even close to any X99 board I had. Maybe Taichi would be better but I already maxed out my 1700X and I don't really want to spend more money on this rig.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. Leaning toward a Taichi (I am on my 7th or 8th Asrock board and always been pleased).
any difference in binning between 1700/1700x/1800x?

1800X are generally a bit better but most will still make ~4.05GHz on all cores on above average air cooler. In general it's matter of luck. I just don't know if it's worth to pay more for 1700X or 1800X when overclocked 1700 can OC the same or in the worst case 50-100MHz lower. I wanted 1700 but got some promo price on 1700X and 1700 was not available anyway. However I would replace my motherboard to something else as I wish to try higher memory clock. On the other hand I count that in future BIOS releases will be higher memory ratios as too high bclk isn't the best idea as it lowers pcie bandwidth and affects performance of most devices connected to motherboard.

Last edited:
Back