• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F and CPU Compatibility Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Hi y'all, its been a while since I've posted here and need some help\advice. I am running a B350-F with AMD 1600 at the moment, but Windows 11 will not be fully compatible with this setup. I don't want to upgrade my board right now, so I am interested in just upgrading the CPU. I was looking at the Ryzen 5700g but don't know if that is compatible. I don't do graphic intensive stuff and thought maybe get a CPU\GPU upgrade. If the 5700g isn't compatible, I am going with an AMD 3700x which I think is compatible with the B350-F. What do you think and recommend? Thanks

Dammit I'm an idiot haha, that's the page I was trying to find and it was right there in their site. Thanks 👍

Being the B350 is low end and old motherboard, what would you do, throw in a 3700X meanwhile? Looking at $300 price range for now and then upgrade the whole system later.

A 3700X is a worthwhile upgrade from the 1000 series. New AMD supposedly comes out late next year...so you'll have some time to play with the new processor.

I ordered the AMD 3700X and now I found out that AMD recommends 3200mhz memory. As my current setup on my signature, I have the Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3000C16 kit right now stable with the AMD 1600 Overclocked. I haven't messed OC the memory on this setup as I am running stock XMP on it for 3000mhz. I know that my kit is B-Die Micron. Do you know if I can get away with using this kit or do I have to upgrade to a 3200mhz AMD kit? Also for some weird reason, Corsair said my kit was only intended for Intel and they want people to buy the more expensive AMD certified kit.

3200 MHz is the max spec for the processor. Of course you can use slower RAM. :)

The AMD/Intel thing is mostly marketing. AMD is mkre finicky with RAM, but just make sure the bios is on the latest version and give it a go!

I ordered the AMD 3700X and now I found out that AMD recommends 3200mhz memory. As my current setup on my signature, I have the Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3000C16 kit right now stable with the AMD 1600 Overclocked. I haven't messed OC the memory on this setup as I am running stock XMP on it for 3000mhz. I know that my kit is B-Die Micron. Do you know if I can get away with using this kit or do I have to upgrade to a 3200mhz AMD kit? Also for some weird reason, Corsair said my kit was only intended for Intel and they want people to buy the more expensive AMD certified kit.

I wouldn't run out and buy a new kit until you test it with the new CPU. As E_D said the 3200 MHz is the AMD rated speed but the sweet spot for the 3 and 5000 series CPUs is 3600 MHz which maximizes the performance of the mem controller and IF.

Thanks for the replies...

Ok I haven't gotten the 3700x but I tried playing with my RAM to run at least @ 3200mhz. I got it to boot to Windows, but that's about it, tests fail right away, might be the AMD 1600 problem that some people say only likes 3000mhz max on this board. I am not that good with OC Ram, but been reading around that Micron B-die can possibly OC to 3600mhz, so we'll see.

I don't wanna get my hopes up, but :) I found a thread in another forum with a user using a 64GB kit with the same exact specs as my Corsair kit, down to the Micron B-Die, Revision, etc. He managed to run them 24/7 @ 3800mhz. I would be happy if I get 3600mhz on these and just run the AMD 3700x with a 1:1 ratio. My AMD 1600 3.2Ghz at the moment is OC to 3.8Ghz, so the 3700x at Stock 3.6Ghz with Boost Speed 4.4Ghz is sufficient for a cpu upgrade. I don't even know if the Boost Speed comes into play with a 1:1 ratio setup or it has to be disabled haha.

I would be happy if I get 3600mhz on these and just run the AMD 3700x with a 1:1 ratio.

That's how it starts buddy! At first you are hopeful, then you become successful, and then you become greedy.. and finally a glutton.

Enjoy!

I sold my old Asus B350-F + AMD 1600 + Corsair 3000 RAM combo to a friend whom only wanted it for school work.

I didn't upgrade after all 2 months ago, but now I got an Asus Strix B550-F, AMD 5600x (would go 5800x, but rather not get a hotter CPU), and now I need 32GB of 3600 memory, I would go 3700x, but saw benchmarks and see the 5600x does a good job and shines in single core applications. My sig hasn't been updated, so that has my old hardware.

I see the CL16 kits are hard to find and only see some from Corsair and Crucial worth the mid cost. I went to look into the B550-F QVL for 3600 memory, but there is not much there.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...16g36c16u4w_ballistix_32gb_16x2_3600_mhz.html

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb...m_re=3600_cl16 corsair-_-20-236-758-_-Product

Back