• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant get my offset vcore and multiplyer to drop via Intel Speed Step?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I have Intel Speed Step enabled and I am running offset voltage. However, even at idle (less than 1-2% CPU load), my clock speed is not dropping. It's locked in at 4.8 GHZ and it wont change. As a result, my vcore wont drop either. The clock speeds drop fine when the CPU is set to stock clock speeds. Any idea what the deal is? I tried dropping the minimum CPU state to 5% in power options in Windows, but that dident do anything.

What happens if you use manual override voltage instead of offset?

If you reset the Bios to default and only change offset and the multiple does the power saving options work?

I tried reseting the mobo to stock and I only changed the frequency to 48x multiplier. Everything was set to default, including the voltage which is set to auto. That did not fix the problem. The CPU only seems to want to downclock when it's set to stock clockspeeds. I tried manual voltage, that dident change anything. I think the problem is not that the voltage wont drop, but that the multiplier will not drop below 48x and so the voltage stays pegged accordingly. I tried switching from offset to adaptive voltage, that doesent work either. I also tried lowering the overclock to 45x and it dident change anything.|

I called MSI but exactly as expected they were utterly worthless and refused to help. I need to really stop buying mobos from these Korean and Chinese crap brands and buy stuff from companies based in the USA.

I tried reseting the mobo to stock and I only changed the frequency to 48x multiplier. Everything was set to default, including the voltage which is set to auto. That did not fix the problem. The CPU only seems to want to downclock when it's set to stock clockspeeds. I tried manual voltage, that dident change anything. I think the problem is not that the voltage wont drop, but that the multiplier will not drop below 48x and so the voltage stays pegged accordingly. I tried switching from offset to adaptive voltage, that doesent work either. I also tried lowering the overclock to 45x and it dident change anything.|

I called MSI but exactly as expected they were utterly worthless and refused to help. I need to really stop buying mobos from these Korean and Chinese crap brands and buy stuff from companies based in the USA.

USA-based motherboard companies? Are there any?

Are you running the most recent bios version? If not, try flashing the bios with the newest version.

I have Intel Speed Step enabled and I am running offset voltage. However, even at idle (less than 1-2% CPU load), my clock speed is not dropping. It's locked in at 4.8 GHZ and it wont change. As a result, my vcore wont drop either. The clock speeds drop fine when the CPU is set to stock clock speeds. Any idea what the deal is? I tried dropping the minimum CPU state to 5% in power options in Windows, but that dident do anything.

Maybe dumb question but you didn't mention whether you have set the CPU ratio mode set to "dynamic". If it's set "fixed" it won't change.

It's set to dynamic. That's one of the first things I checked.

- - - Updated - - -

USA-based motherboard companies? Are there any?

Are you running the most recent bios version? If not, try flashing the bios with the newest version.
Yes I am. Evga is an example. They might be made in China by little kids or whatever, but their HQ is here in the US, not overseas, and they have a large technical support staff in the US who mostly know what they are talking about. The downside is their shipping prices on their referb items are total crap. $45 to ship a single GPU....

Didn't know EVGA was headquartered in USA. But then again, the other major motherboard companies may be headquartered in Asia but will also have offices here in the USA.

Seems like it may be time to RMA that motherboard.

Figured it out. It was because I had the Windows power plan in High Performance which wont allow it to downclock, even if I set the minimum processor state at 5%. I changed the setting to balanced and now the CPU multiplier and vcore both drop as expected when the load is low. Now it will drop as low as 800 Mhz. and 0.6 volts if needed.

Back