• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Networking Issues....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

druidelder

Okay, these are not specific questions, these are observations that I have had and want feedback on.

1. Wireless digital network security cameras: Who thought this idea up? It seems to me that these should be called insecurity cameras. Yeah, lets put up cameras all around our house/business so that anybody with a laptop and a wireless card can stop in front of our house, wait a little while, get on our very insecure wireless network, and then watch what's going on inside. Okay, it's a little far fetched, but only a little. Do you think any salespeople mention that this could happen when you buy one? I don't. What's your view on wireless network cams?

(Yes, I realize that any network cam that is always on is potentially at risk, but atleast with a wired network they'd have to know more to break in.)

2. Some time ago, the Supreme Court ruled that police only needed a warrant for things when there was an expectation of privacy. They ruled, much later, that cordless phones (and later cell phones, I believe) did not meet the expectation of privacy, because any bozo with $20 could go down to RatShack and start listening in. Does this mean that at some point the same decision will be made about wireless networks? Because as they stand today, wireless networks are as easy to crack and sniff as cordless phones. That being the case, will that give the Feds a backdoor through requiring a warrant to monitor your internet activity in the near future? I'm not saying that you or I are doing anything illegal, but I'm sure I've been to a page or two that might not sit well with those government types. What do you think?

I did not post this in the debates, because it is not a right or wrong thing. I just want some feedback, and it is specific to networking. I would also like to hear from those of you that don't live in the US. What kind of regulations does your country have. What are your opinions on them and on ours? Thanks.

Yup - wireless is not secure. Anything broadcast is public domain, which is why you turn on WEP - as crappy as WEP is, it is better than nothing.

Just read an article somewhere about wireless cameras and how people are wandering around with a reciever, watching what people are doing. Creative criminal uses were implied in the article.

Not a much known fact is that most wireless cameras run on the same frequency as 802.11b, but 802.11b has a much higher radiated power and will swamp the camera signal.

Just my $0.02

Back