• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Extensions .............. XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy X

Since win 95 -98 SE I've noticed that it has been quite difficult to change the extensions of a registered file type . For example if u have wow.zip , it will show up in explorer or my computer as wow winzip file ( if winzip is installed ) it is very hard to change the .zip extension . If u try to rename the file it doesn,t aloow u to touch the extension even if i put in a new one for eg. .car . The resulting file would be wow.car.zip . As a result I used to open the older file manager winfile.exe which allowed me to change the extension easily .

Guess what ........... winfile isn't included in Xp and the only option I have seen so far is to open a dos window and struggle though files and folders with the ~ in their names .

Is there an easier way ............... without installing another file manager .

PS: changing the details that u want to be shown in the explorer window doesn't help with registered file types .............. it gives no option to show the extension :(

This is in 2K, but should be the same for XP: it should be in the view tab of folder options (tools->folder potions). the item is hide extensions of known file types.

Since win 95 -98 SE I've noticed that it has been quite difficult to change the extensions of a registered file type . For example if u have wow.zip , it will show up in explorer or my computer as wow winzip file ( if winzip is installed ) it is very hard to change the .zip extension . If u try to rename the file it doesn,t aloow u to touch the extension even if i put in a new one for eg. .car . The resulting file would be wow.car.zip
Maybe I'm missing something....but I've never had that problem! :confused: Is this an actual problem for alot of people? All I ever do is right click, rename, and it's done!

Thanx alot Wonko The Sane .

Takiwa changing extensions is indeed a real problem ............... ur probably a lucky person whose settings came allowing such .

It takes 2 seconds to turn off the option to hide extensions for known file types in Win 9X, Win NT, W2K and XP, it's not hard to do. Once you turn it off you'll see the extenstions in the names and you can rename them all you want.

Another thing you can do that will solve this problem is that when you want to rename, in your example, wow.zip to wow.car use quotes around the filename you want to rename it too.

For example: "wow.car" would rename the file to wow.car, not wow.car.zip, regardless of whether or not you turn off the "hide file extensions for known types".

Back