• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIAL-UP V.90 or V.92

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Hi all , Ive gotta help a co-worker pick a new dial-up (EXTERNAL) modem and install it for her . She uses MSN for an ISP and they do support V.92 standard. Since I use ADSL and have for almost 2 years Iam out-of the "dial-up" loop as which standard V.90 vs. V.92 is less problemmatic . Ive decided on either a USR (3COM) V.92 or possibly a BestData V.90 or V.92 external modems . Ive used BOTH , V.90 standard USR's and BestData modems in the past with VERY good results . Any suggestions on V.90 vs. V.92 would be helpful . Also money is not really of issuse here ; my co-worker has a $100 TOTAL to spend on the modem upgrade , but the less spent the better ( of course ) . My co-worker is NOT using a "HOT-ROD" PC by any means , so gaming factors will not be an issue at this time . Thanks in advance :D

I would say get the V.92

I belive the main difference is the V.92 uses higher compression than V.90. I have read that you can get a lot better performance with the V.92. V.92 modems should be compatible with V.90. also.

DEAR GOD GET THE V.92!!!! I was reading up on it like six months ago when it was pretty much beta at the time... but wow when I saw that. Do a search for it on cnet or slashdot and you will get loads of info about it. But def. get the V.92, so much more it can do!

*posted in your other thread*

v.92 increases the upload speed of an analog modem from 28.8kbps to 33.6kbps. the download is not effected.
Look on ebay for a us robotics external v.90 modem
The modem can be flashed to support v.92

I bought my USR external modem for $40 off of ebay (used) and i went to USR's website and download the flash stuff and flashed the modem and it upgraded it to v.92.

red, hey i just flashed my and everything. the drivers it wants to install wont install, becasue there not digitally signed. in order to be online right no i have to use generic drivers. how did you get windows to use the new drivers?

BigRed said:
*posted in your other thread*

Look on ebay for a us robotics external v.90 modem
The modem can be flashed to support v.92

Careful. NOT all modems can be flashed. I have one that cannot!

I do not use it, as i have cable...

Back