• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop powers up but won't boot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barkizzy

I've been searching this forum for answers to my problem but I'm really getting confused because I'm just learning about this stuff. I upgraded to windows 7 and went to Toshiba website for upgrade of drivers. At the very top was a BIOS update. Not knowing any better, I downloaded the upgrade and tried to install within the OS. BAD! Found out that I was supposed to download to flash or disk, then boot from there. Anyhow, computer went dead. Now when I power up I hear fans and DVD drive does work then nothing more than a quiet whine. There's no LED green light indicating that it's booting up. I've tried starting with various function keys but to no avail.
I guess all my fooling around cost me a laptop maybe????
Any hope? I'm not adverse to taking the thing apart if I have to. It's toast now so I got nothing to lose and my hubby is an electronic technician so that might help!

I've had to copy specs for my model as I can't get into my computer for finding out details of the system:

Toshiba Satellite L300D-03K
Model PSL C8C-03K01R
Serial No 19319784Q
Processor
* AMD Turion™ X2 dual-core Mobile processor RM-70 (2.0GHz, 1MB L2 cache, Hypertransport™ 3: up to 3.6 (GT/sec))
Operating System
* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit Edition
Memo
* Standard Memory: 2GB + 1GB DDR2 (800MHz)
* Maximum Memory: 8GB DDR2
* Expansion Modules: 1GB, 2GB, 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk Drive
* 320GB (5400RPM); Serial-ATA hard disk drive
Optical Drive
* DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
* Maximum speed and compatibility:
* Read: CD-ROM (24x), DVD-ROM (8x)
* Write: CD-R (24x), CD-RW (4x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x), DVD-R (Double Layer, (6x), DVD-RW (6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x), DVD+R (Double Layer, (6x), DVD+RW (8x), DVD-RAM (5x)
Display System
* Type: TFT Active Matrix colour LCD display
* Size (diagonal): 15.4” Wide XGA TFT with TruBrite™
* Native LCD Panel Resolution: 1280x800x16.7 million colours
* External Support and Max. Colour Support (dependant
* On CRT): Up to 2,048 x 1536 x 16.7 million colour
Graphics Controller
* ATI Radeon™ 3100 graphics – up to 1406MB
* dynamically allocated shared graphics memory with 3GB of
* system memory
Sound System
* Realtek ALC268 Software Sound, Intel High Definition
* Audio, Built-in stereo speakers
Communication
* V.92 56K Data/Fax Modem
* 10/100 integrated Ethernet LAN,
* Atheros Wireless LAN (802.11 bgn)
* Integrated VGA Web Camera for Video over IP
* Integrated microphone for Voice over IP
Expansion
* 2 memory slots – Slot 1 has 2GB. Slot 2 has 1GB. Slots can be filled with 1GB, 2GB or 4GB modules
* 1 Express Card Slot
* Ports: 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adaptor (SD, card, SDHC card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Multi Media card), 3 USB 2.0, RJ11, RJ45, external microphone port, headphone port, RGB
Keyboard
* Canadian Bilingual Keyboard
* Full sized 87 keys with 13 Function keys
* Color: Black
Pointing Device
* Touchpad Pointing device
Additional Software
* Toshiba Face Recognition
* Toshiba ConfigFree™
* Adobe Acrobat Reader
* TOSHIBA Disc Creator
* TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER
* Norton 360 Trial
* Microsoft Office 2007 Trial
* Microsoft Works 9.0

Sorry for this long post and I sure hope someone can help me. Much appreciated! Thanks

Wow. I've upgraded bios many times just never in a laptop and I always read the instructions before hand. Usually there's a warning or something.
You need to locate the watch battery that the bios uses and pull it and the main battery and let it completely dissipate all power, effectively going back to default and resetting the password. Hopefully it works for you. I have had to do this in desktops before for odd reasons, just never after a bios update.
Though I did one time pull the jumper that can do a reset but I forgot to turn the pc off and it borked the mobo. TG it was free-lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm a newbie at this, so would you mind referring me to a link on how to remove the battery and also to find the jumper (???). How do I reset the password? From what I heard Toshiba laptops have security to the nth degree. Might try their support, though I did phone them and just basically was told that I need a new motherboard. Since they're expensive and not worth it as I can buy a brand new one less than the cost of getting this one fixed by a professional. I will try your suggestion and do more research on "how to diagrams". Sure appreciated your feedback. Might be a while before I post back but I'll surely let you know if I succeeded!

It does sound like you need a new motherboard. Try this though remove the ac and the battery and hold down the power button for over 1 min. Sometimes this will clear it enough to start.

Back