• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Modem on Road Runner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLowD9x

A friend of mine just got a cable modem from a friend of his. I came over to hook it up, but the cable light doesnt come on. He has digital cable and everything. I just cant figure out why it doesnt work. Does he have to have the road runner service or something enabled on this cable line? I already configured everything, the MAC address, etc... any help appreciated.

You can't just plug in a cablemodem, you must subscribe to a cablemodem service. Digital Cable is cable service, I.E. video and audio for entertainment. A cable internet connection costs extra, it's a totally different service, and depending on your company, you may be provided with a cablemodem by them.

I thought I could do the same thing at one point, but I never had the money to go out and buy a cablemodem, I just found out from a friend that's not how it works.

Cablemodem service should be pretty cheap if you're already a cable subscriber, probably less than or equal to $39 per month. When you get that all set up, don't forget to upcap it. ;)

This cable modem is active, its someone elses, hes borrowing it. I got the MAC addresses and everything. The data light comes on on the modem, so I know its connecrting to the compuer.

KLowD said:
This cable modem is active, its someone elses, hes borrowing it. I got the MAC addresses and everything. The data light comes on on the modem, so I know its connecrting to the compuer.

He's getting data even though he's not subscribing to cablemodem service? Damn, these cable companies are getting lax, I've had free cable for 6 years, nobody's ever come to ask about it (It was here when we moved back in, don't start judging me. =P ).

I assume you have the same cable company as the other guy. The MAC address of the cable modem should already be registered with the cable company, if it has worked before. The MAC address of your NIC card may not be registered, but I'm not sure whether the cable company keeps track of these addresses or not.

What lights are available on the modem and which ones are ON.

I know when I had RR they had divided the town into sections for the sevice. If your in another section it may not work. But I have no idea.

I am not an expert on this, but I TimeWarner/Road Runner is my ISP & I think I can answer your questions.

1st, to my knowledge there is no way to change th MAC address. It is embedded in the firmware of the cable modem & can't be changed.

2nd, when someone subscribes to RR, the cable company will either run a new cable into the house if 1 doesn't exist already, or they will simply use the existing cable (much like you are trying to do). It is my understanding that out at the street, where the cable from you house connects to the cable main, the cable company can install "filters" that let certain signals through. They can let through, or prevent, any signals that they want with these "filters". I'm guessing that the cable running into your friends house needs to have a "filter" put on the line by the cable company & the only way to get that is to subscribe.

One other thing to note is that the cable modem must be supported by the ISP. If your friend got his cable modem from someone who was not using RR, then there is a pretty good chance that is wouldn't work no matter what you try.

Back