• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

switch 2 rig setup question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbell

the real xtremesys admin in exile
I just bought a new netgear 10/100 workgroup 5 port switch...

I got rig#1 to access the internet fine but how do I get rig#2 to be seen

I checked my network properties.... both have same name... why can I not see each rig...

I assume you mean that both have the same Workgroup name. Each computer on the network must have a different Name.

Also, have you setup sharing on each computer for whatever drive or folders you want to share?

Edward2 said:
I assume you mean that both have the same Workgroup name. Each computer on the network must have a different Name.

Also, have you setup sharing on each computer for whatever drive or folders you want to share?

workgroup is the same and both have 2k pro

both have been hooked up at my office and both saw THAT network fine - so why now do they not see each other?

You said that you got rig #1 to access the internet. Can rig #2 access the internet? If so, this would let you know that rig #2 is communicating with the switch and would rule this out as a problem. If rig #2 cannot access the internet, it may not be communicating with the switch.

rig #2 is not online...

could it be the patch cable?

It could be the cable. Of course, you could swap cables between the 2 computers to find out for sure. You could even try different ports on the switch, just to rule that out as a possible problem.

Have you verified that the NIC cards in the 2 computers have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS? The IP addresses should be very similiar of course.

Edward2 said:
It could be the cable. Of course, you could swap cables between the 2 computers to find out for sure. You could even try different ports on the switch, just to rule that out as a possible problem.

Have you verified that the NIC cards in the 2 computers have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS? The IP addresses should be very similiar of course.

using DHCP tried 3 cables and two nics.... no luck yet

are we talking about a switch or a router? Because (from what I understand) a switch still requires your rigs to have a separate IP on the internet, whereas a router will have it's own IP that only the ISP sees, and the computers networked to the router have their own LAN IP's.

basically what that means is Router= 1 IP on your internet connection, Switch = 2 IP's on your internet connection which probably isn't supported by your ISP unless you pay for 2 accounts.

h20link said:
are we talking about a switch or a router? Because (from what I understand) a switch still requires your rigs to have a separate IP on the internet, whereas a router will have it's own IP that only the ISP sees, and the computers networked to the router have their own LAN IP's.

basically what that means is Router= 1 IP on your internet connection, Switch = 2 IP's on your internet connection which probably isn't supported by your ISP unless you pay for 2 accounts.

It is a switch

5 port Netgear FS105

but even if that is true I should be able to at east see each computer...

sharing is turned on

h20link said:
on the #2 machine that's not showing up, is the light on the NIC card lit up when it's hooked up to the switch?

yes it is in full duplex

the switch auto senses...

Check that the ips on both machines are set in the same range, with the same sub mask. I've found that stops machines seing each other some times.

RED Hot Machine said:
Check that the ips on both machines are set in the same range, with the same sub mask. I've found that stops machines seing each other some times.

im running dhcp and tried 192.168.x.x on both

hmmm.... are they both set on "obtain an IP address automatically"? Or do you specify an IP for each computer? same subnet mask, IP domain, etc?

i'm not a total networking guru or anything, but maybe i'll be able to help ya figure it out.....

[edit] sorry the above post came up while I was typing[/edit]

now I know this sounds kinda dumb, but when we network for lan games, etc, 192.168.0.x seems to be the easiest IP domain to work in........I know it's kind of grasping at straws but maybe give it a try.

h20link said:
hmmm.... are they both set on "obtain an IP address automatically"? Or do you specify an IP for each computer? same subnet mask, IP domain, etc?

i'm not a total networking guru or anything, but maybe i'll be able to help ya figure it out.....

[edit] sorry the above post came up while I was typing[/edit]

now I know this sounds kinda dumb, but when we network for lan games, etc, 192.168.0.x seems to be the easiest IP domain to work in........I know it's kind of grasping at straws but maybe give it a try.

rig #1 has to be DHCP other wise I lose internet on it - grrrrrr

rig #2 won't ping modem - 100% loss

Hey jbell,turn machine 1 off and see if #2 is recognized then.I had to purchase a seperate computer name from my ip provider before I could get the other pc to show up and online with that switch.

My ISP came back with this..

The only method we support is the addition of more IP addresses to your
account. They cost an additional 9.95 a month per extra IP. To have
more IP's added to your account you will need to speak to customer
service which you can contact at 1-888-996-0001.

I use to have a switch (now I have a router), but I have forgotten exactly how I had it setup. I think the problem could be that the second computer is not getting an IP address from the ISP, since you only have 1 connection. The switch does not get an IP address (like a router does).

You may have to install a network program on both computers (like Sygate). What this program does is allows your primary computer to have 2 IP addresses. One is the one from your ISP. The second is something like 192.168.X.X. Your secondary computer would also have an IP address like 192.168.X.X. This allows the 2 computers to communicate via the LAN network. These addresses could be fixed addresses. This would also allow the second computer to access the internet thru the primary computer (of course, the primary has to be turned on).

Other option - you might be able to set a fixed IP address on the second computer and get the 2 talking to each other. The second computer would definitely not be able to access the internet, but this is a cheaper option (if it works).

Back