Mounting problems

what could be the problems when mounting a HSF. can anyone give me mounting tips.

using a volcano 7+

idle=41degees
    Load = 52 degrees
    Rm temp=28 to 31 degrees
    case temp=obviously 28 to 31 degrees but may decrease at times

i believe my volcano can do better. for yr information I just apply a thin layer of thermal grease provided (I apply it on the processor and wipe the rest off wif tissue paper)---->real thin.

provide me wif mounting tips thx

danson

What kind of thermal paste are you using? The generic kind that comes with heatsinks makes a very big difference in temps. I would recommend buying some Arctic Silver III. I have seen tests that show with generic thermal paste you get 5-8c higher than with ASII or ASIII. You can find some arctic silver at www.svcompucycle.com , they have very good prices.

Well first off, the Volcano 7+ has had known mounting problems with the P4 478 CPU's. Make sure you are getting good contact between the CPU and the heatsink. Many people on this forum, myself included, could not use it becasue it would not make contact with the CPU.

Personally, I would get rid of it and get a Thermalright AX478(top rated heatsink on the front page). I love mine. I run load at 35C. You can pick one up for 26bucks a KD computers online.

Asus Sabertooth x58, Intel Core i7-950, Thermalright IFX-14, Ultra X3 1000watt PSU, 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, 2 x Zotac GTX 465's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB HD's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 1.5TB HD's, 2 Samsung SH-S203B's, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Lian Li PC-75-USB Aluminum Case, Viewsonic 27-inch N2750W LCD TV

Heatware

thx for the advice. it is impossible to run at load at 35 degrees for me cos my room temp is 28 to 30+
    (Remember that fans use air cooling)

but any advice to how to take off that stiff volcano from the 478 socket?

danson

I used a small flathead and just pryed the mounting clip from the socket adapter. I realize most wont get 35 load, but I just wanted to show you how much better the AX478 performed. Its a great heatsink and worth every bit of the 26 dollars. Infact I would have bought it if it was twice as much, thats how much I really like it.

Asus Sabertooth x58, Intel Core i7-950, Thermalright IFX-14, Ultra X3 1000watt PSU, 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, 2 x Zotac GTX 465's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB HD's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 1.5TB HD's, 2 Samsung SH-S203B's, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Lian Li PC-75-USB Aluminum Case, Viewsonic 27-inch N2750W LCD TV

Heatware