• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about raiding some of these but..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Thinking about raiding some of these but JEEZE:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609245

$4400 for 128GB's.... LOL

I am seriously considering when price drops 3 X SSD's in Raid 0.

Current throughput on a single SATA solid state drive is maximum:
60 MB/s read and 44 MB/s write. That is much slower than most of the high end HDD's currently out on the market. However, the ACCESS TIME on SSD's are incredible (over 40 times faster than a new raptor, SSD RAT = .2, Raptor RAT = 8.5) and boot times on the OS, games, and apps would be astounding. Not to mention the OS environment would be fluid as hell.

Theoretically if we raided 3 X 32GB SSD's our throughput would encroach 180 MB/s read and around 130 MB/s write. Couple that with close to ZERO access times and you have the fastest drive setup on the planet.

This would currently be ungodly expensive but its something that when price comes down a bit, I will definitely hop on the bandwagon and provide some results for you guys.

THREAD UPDATE::

Check this out guys. Just found that we have for sale a 16GB, 32GB and 64GB Solid State Drive that is faster than a single 150 raptor.

.1 ms access time, 97 MB/s read, and 80 MB/s write.
Its made by a company called Mtron and the 16GB version is currently $799, the 32GB is $1499,, ughh. The price is disgusting but the performance is supposed to be out of this world.

Single Mtron 32GB solid state drive vs. single raptor 74gig:

MTRONvRAPTOR.jpg

Mtron 32GB solid state single drive hdtach:

MTRON_HDTACH.jpg

Mtron 32GB X 4 solid state raid 0:

MTRON-4X-RAID0.jpg

If these prices were reasonable I would be all over this in a heartbeat.

Dom

Last edited:
$4400 and they want to charge shipping, But yes they would make one hell of a setup hopefully the prices will drop to something more affordable soon.

$4400 and they want to charge shipping, But yes they would make one hell of a setup hopefully the prices will drop to something more affordable soon.

Crazy isnt it? I am gearing towards a sub $200 price tag on the 32GB SSD's before I pick one of them up.

its REALLY not worth it... a raptor 150 performes better, has more space and is LESS MONEY! unless SSD's drop price to right around the same that we are paying for hds $/gb they are just plain stupid IMO for a desktop.

its REALLY not worth it... a raptor 150 performes better, has more space and is LESS MONEY! unless SSD's drop price to right around the same that we are paying for hds $/gb they are just plain stupid IMO for a desktop.

I own raptor 150's, and the performance gain you are feeling is from access time, not sustained reads/writes. I can guarantee you, 3 of these puppies in raid 0 will blow away my old 3 raptor raid 0 setup.

There is close to a zero (.2) access time on SSD's. Instantaneous boots, and app loading. Just like I said, if these come down in price and you raid them you will have the quickest drive setup imaginable. Zero Access Time, and 180 MB/s sustained read.

I own raptor 150's, and the performance gain you are feeling is from access time, not sustained reads/writes. I can guarantee you, 3 of these puppies in raid 0 will blow away my old 3 raptor raid 0 setup.

There is close to a zero (.2) access time on SSD's. Instantaneous boots, and app loading. Just like I said, if these come down in price and you raid them you will have the quickest drive setup imaginable. Zero Access Time, and 180 MB/s sustained read.

I agree.

The main problem with RAID performance scaling is that the access latensies add up for each drive that is added, slowing the RAID config down to the point that you get no increase for adding extra drives.

SSD access times will fix this problem right up

I'm excited for when the performance on these improves and they begin to replace traditional hard drives. Been waiting for mainstream solid state drives for a long time.

I agree.

The main problem with RAID performance scaling is that the access latensies add up for each drive that is added, slowing the RAID config down to the point that you get no increase for adding extra drives.

SSD access times will fix this problem right up

uhh todally not true.

single 250gb seagate perp on ICH5R
single250.JPG

2x 250gb seagate perps on ICH5R raid 0
raid.JPG

(if you need more pics to prove my point i got plenty)

Now back to ssd's when they start to become more afordable closer to hds then i would consider... but right now 400 bucks for 16gb is like prices 10 yrs ago for hds, YES acess time is literally nill, and STR's are eh alright, right round the top end raptor. so right now IMO is NOT the time to buy these things

Dom, I suggest you PM Hyperasus before starting to buy them, if I'm not mistaken he had some interesting experiences raiding those kind of drive.

uhh todally not true.

single 250gb seagate perp on ICH5R
single250.JPG

2x 250gb seagate perps on ICH5R raid 0
raid.JPG

(if you need more pics to prove my point i got plenty)

Now back to ssd's when they start to become more afordable closer to hds then i would consider... but right now 400 bucks for 16gb is like prices 10 yrs ago for hds, YES acess time is literally nill, and STR's are eh alright, right round the top end raptor. so right now IMO is NOT the time to buy these things

I was talking about when you add 5 or 6 or more drives.

After about the fifth drive you don't really get any kind of performance boost

I was talking about when you add 5 or 6 or more drives.

After about the fifth drive you don't really get any kind of performance boost

depending on the controler you do... i would say like the ICH9R your good up to like 4 drives... but if you got a good pciE 8x or 16x raid card with 1gb of chache you could have 12 sata drives raided up with amazing performance.

Check this out guys. Just found that we have for sale a 16GB, 32GB and 64GB Solid State Drive that is faster than a single 150 raptor.

.1 ms access time, 97 MB/s read, and 80 MB/s write.
Its made by a company called Mtron and the 16GB version is currently $799, the 32GB is $1499,, ughh. The price is disgusting but the performance is supposed to be out of this world.

Single Mtron 32GB solid state drive vs. single raptor 74gig:

http://www.dvnation.com/images/MTRONvRAPTOR.jpg

Mtron 32GB solid state single drive hdtach:

MTRON_HDTACH.jpg

Mtron 32GB X 4 solid state raid 0:

MTRON-4X-RAID0.jpg

If these prices were reasonable I would be all over this in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't Matrix RAID be superfluous on such a setup? If Matrix takes the "fastest" part of each platter, it wouldn't even apply here, yes? Since all parts of the SSD "platter" are equally fast...I'm thinking that it would be easiest/just as fast to do a standard RAID 0....

Also, do you think these drives have failure rates somewhere along current SSD thumb drives? Like 'I just put mine through the wash and it still works' style longevity. Obviously, you won't happen to leave your SSD in your pocket, but will this significantly prolong hard drive life?

Wouldn't Matrix RAID be superfluous on such a setup? If Matrix takes the "fastest" part of each platter, it wouldn't even apply here, yes? Since all parts of the SSD "platter" are equally fast...I'm thinking that it would be easiest/just as fast to do a standard RAID 0....

Also, do you think these drives have failure rates somewhere along current SSD thumb drives? Like 'I just put mine through the wash and it still works' style longevity. Obviously, you won't happen to leave your SSD in your pocket, but will this significantly prolong hard drive life?

As a matter of fact, the only benefit from Matrix raid would be the ability to use a dual performance/ data mirroring setup. You will no longer have to worry about latency.

It is supposed to be army durable as far as shock resistance, and drive life is 140 years at 50GB of read/write per day.

Regards,

Back