• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ADATA Announces SE880 USB 3.2 Gen2 x2 External Solid State Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

3-Cropped-3.jpg
ADATA has just announced its latest portable solid state drive, the SE880. The compact design utilizes a USB 3.2 Gen2 x2 Type-C port for ultra-fast data transfers with read and write speeds rated up to 2000 MB/s. The SE880 is available in 500 GB or 1 TB models at Amazon or Shop ADATA. pricing has yet to be released. For more information please read ADATA's press release below.
Click here to read more!

These attributes make it perfect for content creators and console gamers on the go.

Content creators I get but "console gamers on the go"? As in moving games from one console to another, or...? Do any of the current gen consoles even have a USB 3.2 2x2 port?

Most press releases are pretty stupid. It seems pointless to try to figure out what the authors had on their minds (authors like not Blaylock who posted this news but someone from ADATA marketing). Like anyone would just run with PS5 or Xbox, 2 pads and cables, so the USB SSD would be so much help ;)
Barely any mid/low shelf motherboard has USB 3.2 2x2, not to mention consoles. If I'm right then it will run at half speed.

The PlayStation 5 does. While you can't game from the external drive you can transfer games from the external to the internal and then play. I don't know about the other consoles. My most recent console is a PS3 so.....

:salute:

EDIT: The PS5 is USB-C Gen2 x1 and will work with this drive, but like Woomack pointed out, it will not be at the drive's full speed. The transfer limit will be on the console, not the drive.

Last edited:
Xbox specs says USB 3.0. Some sites say it supports USB 3.2 SSD/HDD but no details on what gen. Considering how similar PS5 and Xbox are, I assume that both have USB 3.2 x1 or Gen2 x1, whatever it's called. So in real it's half or even lower speed.
Other brands are advertising their top USB SSD as perfect for consoles too. If they skipped consoles and some pointless things on the features list, then would be a USB drive for fast backup of your modern, high-end PC as most laptops won't support that too ;)
Even if you run it on PC then without patches for Win11, it will be stuck at a lower speed too. Some other USB 3.2 2x2 that I was testing required new firmware or OS updates to reach 2GB/s.

Back