• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5K-E: Enabling AHCI, Hangs on POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

surfasb

Registered
I am setting up a new computer using the Asus P5K-E wifi/AP motherboard. When I hook up the harddrive and enable SATA AHCI, the computer hangs on POST when it's "Detecting IDE devices."

I end up having to reset the CMOS as it won't boot into setup. The computer boots up fine if I set the SATA to IDE.

Anyone ever seen this?

Harddrive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131196
Yes, I had some problems configuring my SATA drives on the P5K-E. It seems back-asswards but you have to set (BIOS) SATA Configuration to [Enhanced] and Configure SATA as [IDE] Go figure...

Yes, I had some problems configuring my SATA drives on the P5K-E. It seems back-asswards but you have to set (BIOS) SATA Configuration to [Enhanced] and Configure SATA as [IDE] Go figure...

I know. I can boot up just fine if I set SATA to [IDE]. It just doesn't posts when I set it to [RAID] or [AHCI]. I'm gonna play around with it some more now I have more time and finals are over.

this is a known issue on these boards. you need the dueluxe or higher to AHCI to work. Soz mate. I would just get a second hdd and run RAID 0

I did not know that. Can I Raid 0 them even though I can't set them to [RAID] in the BIOS?

Edit: That is odd though. The Deluxe model has the same Southbridge, so I don't quite understand where the incompatibilities may lie.

Last edited:
I fixed a similar problem

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my P5K-E and Seagate drives. I was using a RAID array and one drive failed. I got a replacement drive, but after I rebuilt the array using the replacement drive, my system would hang on POST.

After much troubleshooting I discovered that it would also hang if I configured my SATA ports for AHCI. I used the Seagate disk tools and zeroed out the drive. This fixed the problem and allowed the system to POST.

Please note that zeroing out a drive will cause all the data on the drive to be deleted, so back it up or kiss it goodbye.

I still haven't finished rebuilding the array on the zeroed-out drive, so the problem may return after the rebuild finishes. I think it should work for you since you're not using RAID.

--Russel

I built a rig last year w/ the same mobo and a Seagate 250GB single-platter drive. I don't remember having any problems w/ AHCI.

You say the PC hangs when it says it's detecting IDE drives. Is that during the Jmicron IDE screen? Do you have any IDE devices plugged in? If not, you should disable the Jmicron controller...it really slows down the boot process.

I have just the thing for you. This same problem drove me nuts for days:

"Others have mentioned problems booting in AHCI mode. This is because Microsoft has disabled the AHCI driver by default. Read MS article 922976, or do the following: 1) Install Windows with IDE mode enabled in the BIOS 2) Exit all Windows-based programs 3) Enter Regedit 4) Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci 5) In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify 6) In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK 7) On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor. 8) Reboot and enter the BIOS before the system enters Windows 9) Change modes to AHCI, save and reboot 10) Windows will install drivers upon reboot"

Let me know if it works out for you :)

I have a p5k premium, with a w/d 160 sata 2 installed windows 7 pro 64. i have the same thing going on could not install in ahci mode had to configure sata 2 as ide,so i installed windows,then i tried the regedit trick,and it did not work, same thing going on just keeps rebooting,.cant even enter setup before it reboots. i even tried different sata drives and different,sata port #2. Im lost for an answer as to why i cant get this to work in ahci mode. Raid 0 will work fine. there are only 3 settings in the bios #1 configure sata as, ide raid or ahci. #2combine ,compatable,enhanced,#3 jmicron sata controller. i really cant figure this out. any ideas would be great thanks. JS1.

Back