• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]A Visual History Chart Of Graphics Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane Loo. Takes me back to the old Voodoo cards and late night sessions of shooting down aliens on Incoming.

Definitely a great piece, thanks Loo! I was reminiscing too about my Voodoo2, pipe-jumping up to grab the flag on well6 in QWTF. :D

I adore my VooDoo 2 too... I've put it in a frame, black canvas behind it, it's hanging on my wall... better masterpiece than all the others.

Very helpful graph. Full to look at and gives some good memories of the various cards I've had through the years.

nvidia 8800gts
nvidia 6600gt
ati radeon 9500pro
ati rage 128pro
don't know prior to that, whatever came built in...

As some others have mentioned it would be useful to see performance comparisons. Maybe you could capture the information here: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart

Until a month ago i was still rocking the Radeon 8500 64mb everyday 24/7 since its release! A fantastic chart i must say all the evolutions into context for someone like me whos not into pc gaming, thank you!

Very cool, I share this with friends. Thanks for including Descent! There community is awesome and so is the game.

Does Crysis still boast the best graphics, if so then why are we getting better cards, we need better games first! (although the price reduction of older cards is nice)

Can't wait for Crysis 2 =D

I remember Descent... didn't know a lot of people still played it. The rarest game genre (nearly dead) nowadays is 3D space shooters it seems (action-based, not the RPG/Strat ones), except on consoles kind of. PC however seems to have little going for it in that category.... really hope SoL actually comes out.

There is a game more taxing than Crysis, it's Metro 2033. Turn off Advanced DoF and Tessellation (way too much fps loss for too little gain), then it's playable on Very High. Other than that, nothing really... and Crysis 2 will be less taxing because it's optimized for consoles... has way less geometry and no open levels.

Brings back some nice memories! I honestly am killing myself trying to remember what I had before my Geforce 2, but I simply can't. I'm pretty sure I still have them in a box somewhere though :).

Geforce 2 Ultra (first card I was ever super excited about. Still have it.)
9700 Pro (first card I ever modded!)
Geforce 6600 GT (temporary replacement after the 9700 died, still have this too)
X850 Pro (I still love that card! Gave it to my pops who finally replaced it with a 4850)
2x HD 4870 (ya, a huge JUMP...still rocking these now)
HD 6970 (in the mail!!!)

Back