Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

forgotten windows xp login PW

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 05:19 PM Thread Starter   #1
Metlcub

forgotten windows xp login PW

My sister went on vacation, came home and forgets her user info to get in WIN XP. I've tried admin admin but that didnt work, is there another way you to get in windows and reset her PW?

RAM Corsair Veng 12gig DDR3-1600
GPU EVGA 760 SC Acx
Storage 2tb HDD
DVD Samsung BD/DVD/CD
Inputs Logitech G510 and G700
Sound Sb X-Fi titanium , TB DX12
Case Haf X Advanced
PSU TT TR2 RX 750w
My Heatware
Metlcub is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-08-12, 05:59 PM   #2
Neuromancer

There are downloable bootable disk images (or USB) that you can run to reset the password. I do not recall the name right now but

Admin with NO PASSWORD is usually the default not admin admin

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-08-12, 06:36 PM   #3
Realee
loss.jpg
Premium Member #25

Ultimate Boot CD has a load of tools on it.
I've used it on corporate machines that I've locked myself out of (After removing the machine from the Domain) and it works.

I'm not sure if it's going to end up in a grey area if I explain the tools but Ultimate Boot CD will do what you need (And much... MUCH more)

Old 05-08-12, 06:38 PM   #4
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

Yeah, we can't really discuss it beyond that -- sorry.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-08-12, 11:37 PM Thread Starter   #5
Metlcub

Oh ok, yea my sister is mad, she's like Just reinstall if you got to, but I need all my kids pictures etc on it.. I'll work on it tomorrow.

RAM Corsair Veng 12gig DDR3-1600
GPU EVGA 760 SC Acx
Storage 2tb HDD
DVD Samsung BD/DVD/CD
Inputs Logitech G510 and G700
Sound Sb X-Fi titanium , TB DX12
Case Haf X Advanced
PSU TT TR2 RX 750w
My Heatware
Metlcub is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-12, 01:33 AM   #6
Realee
loss.jpg
Premium Member #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlcub View Post
Oh ok, yea my sister is mad, she's like Just reinstall if you got to, but I need all my kids pictures etc on it.. I'll work on it tomorrow.
If you only need the data you can always take the hard drive out and put it in another working computer. Chances are the home folders won't be encrypted (You would have to do more than put a password on it being Windows XP) so you can just backup the data and put it back after a reload.

I like to reload my machines every 12 months at the latest just to keep them "fresh" it could be a good chance for your sisters machine too.

Old 05-09-12, 02:53 AM   #7
mbentley
Gloriously Lead
Overclockix Chief Architect
In stealth mode

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realee View Post
If you only need the data you can always take the hard drive out and put it in another working computer. Chances are the home folders won't be encrypted (You would have to do more than put a password on it being Windows XP) so you can just backup the data and put it back after a reload.
+1. There should not be a reason that at the very least the data won't be recoverable with a minimal amount of effort. You could even boot with a Linux live CD distro and most likely the Windows partition will be automatically mounted at boot and you could copy any data she needs to an external USB drive or something like that if you don't feel like fiddling around with moving the HDD over to another machine.

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net
mbentley is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-12, 08:05 AM   #8
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

For future damage prevention, create an administrator account on the system with a password that you know. In case this happens again, you can easily reset it without reinstalling.

I do this for every family/friend computer I work on, for that exact reason. I explain exactly why I'm doing it, as well.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-12, 09:54 AM   #9
EGutierrez91
Registered

You can use "Offline NT Password and Registry Editor." Burn the file to a disc, and run it on the PC, it will let you remove or change the password.

Case: Xigmatek ASGARD II || CPU: i5-2500k (Stock at 3.3GHz) || MoBo: BIOSTAR TZ68A+ || PSU: Antec EarthWatts 430W 80+ BRONZE || GPU: XFX Double D Radeon 6870 1GB || RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
EGutierrez91 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
Neuromancer (05-14-12)
Old 05-09-12, 10:45 AM   #10
johan851
Insatiably Malcontent

10 Year Badge

Aren't the default Administrator credentials "Administrator" with no password? That's what I remember using. Painfully easy to "break in" to XP, by the way.

Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled
johan851 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-12, 11:14 AM   #11
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

^^^^ This...

It's case sensitive so the capital A is needed.

If that fails...
- Google-Fu -> CIA Commander
- Download the iso
- Burn to CD or USB jumpdrive
- Boot from said device
- Overwrite the forgotten password with whatever you want
- Boot to XP and login with the new password

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-13-12, 09:03 PM   #12
realmadrid12

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dECTfBOUksE

You could also do it by mounting the registry hive and doing it manually. But UBD is much easier.

We use this at work when encryption breaks from root kits. I wouldnt call this a "grey" area because this is knowledge that can be used for good. And save someones data if they dont understand how windows works completely. Hes working on his own computer.

Main Rig: Intel 4770k - Asus Formula VI - GSkill Sniper 1866 16gb - Corsair AX850 - EVGA 780ti SC - Custom WC loop

Spare Rig: AMD 1090T at 4.1ghz - Asus Crosshair V - GSkill 1600 8gb - Corsair AX850 - Asus 6950 (Crossfire) - Custom WC loop
realmadrid12 is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-12, 10:25 PM   #13
Realee
loss.jpg
Premium Member #25

The Grey area comes in because even though in THIS case the OP owns the computer - many visitors to the site may not.

Most members past the first few posts can be trusted but I would bet my bottom dollar there's a whoooooooole lot of guests that come past and see things like this.

That said - the information is solid =)

Old 05-14-12, 10:36 PM   #14
Neuromancer

ITs not a grey area unless you post tools that allow you to BYPASS the password requirement (also easy to do)

Resetting the admin password (and yes on home package PC cases usually is Administrator with no password) is NOT a "hack" it is a recovery tool.

Not a grey area at all IMHO. If the PTB say I am wrong so be it. It has been discussed here before and not disapproved though.

EDIT: Here a couple of threads (XP password reset does not pop up very much anymore since its outdated but...) Note that senior members or higher were providing help in the situation. Lets not get into the keylogging and encryption bypassing threads I found in these search results.

If we are going to take the "moral" (not that it is immoral to reset an admin password) high road and say doing something NOT illegal is wrong on the forums as far as computers are concerned then we have to revisit a LOT of things the forums do allow discussion of (like keylogging a computer you own but others use)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s....php?t=699379&
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s....php?t=688386&

FYI with a technet/MSDN account Microsoft provides a tool to reset admin password as well. Its mentioned in one of the threads I found

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me

Last edited by Neuromancer; 05-14-12 at 10:51 PM.
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications