• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why dont wifi lights ever work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

So i've tried wifi bulbs from time to time for lamps and the sort that are a little more out of the way than the others but never had any luck with them.
The other day i found a good deal on some Philips hue bulbs that are supposed to work with google, even touting a seamless setup with google home. I dont want to use an app for every different automation thing i come across and i have a pixel so i want to be able to use the home app. so i figured i'd give them a shot, they say they work with out a bridge so lets send it.

well long story short, it doesnt work.

its 2023 right?
this isnt a new thing, a standard seems to have been set in eco systems, even multiple but it still doesn't work.

the hue app kind of works, it updated but then nothing still, i also did a factory reset process listed on then philips site and got the flashing light saying its been reset, nothing still.

this is the same story every time, 2nd time i've tried using hue bulbs but i've tried multiple brands and multiple phones each time and they still never work.
is this how they sell? people get curious, never get them to work and then just use them as regular bulbs?

has any one gotten things like this to work?

I have the Hue Smart Hub, a pair off TV backlights, 4 down lights in the family room, and 3 bulbs in the front entry hall.
The TV backlights are cool when running in Sync mode to match what's happening on the screen.

I use the Hue app on my iphone for all the light and a Hue app on my HTPC for the Sync feature.

Been using Hue bulbs since 2016 and they've worked great, honestly better than I'd ever expect. Even in a 4000 sq/ft house the farthest bulbs from the hub still function, that's through 6 walls in some cases.

it sounds like you all are using a hub, no where on the box for these does it say a hub is necessary. also i dont want to use a hub, i want to just use google home to turn a lightbulb in a harder to reach, out of the way place on or off while i am in that same room.

and again this isnt a hue only related problem this is what i see for several different brands. its pretty ****, its 2023 right?

Also a hue user, bought a hub to use them with. I thought it was essentially required or having another device that can act as a hub.

My son bought us a Phillips Hue starter kit years ago. I broke one bulb of three and the other two are just gone. I have the hub and that's it. We didn't like them. When I want a light, I want to flip a switch. Not get my phone out, open the app, locate the bulb I want, decide on a seeting that I want (Color/brightness) and then have light. *flip* On. *flip* Off. Easy peasy.

My son bought us a Phillips Hue starter kit years ago. I broke one bulb of three and the other two are just gone. I have the hub and that's it. We didn't like them. When I want a light, I want to flip a switch. Not get my phone out, open the app, locate the bulb I want, decide on a seeting that I want (Color/brightness) and then have light. *flip* On. *flip* Off. Easy peasy.

We have 4 total bulbs (two on the garage, one on our porch, and one in a light post out front), all but the post are on a switch works just like anything else. But if we leave the light switches on we have the lights on a schedule to come on at dusk/off at dawn. (I like that I can set color patterns for time of year/etc too)

Back