Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Forum Jump

Will my current PSU be enough?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 06:43 PM Thread Starter   #1
Mike Da Yooper

Will my current PSU be enough?

Hi! I have some new pc parts coming on Tuesday and I didn't think when I bought them that I may not have enough power. I am a longtime builder and I ususally just buy a much bigger power supply than I need to compensate for not really knowing how to add up voltages and stuff(I am TERRIBLE at math). I currently have an Apevia 650w psu, you can find it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148041

It is about 9 months old but its working great. I know many folks have had issues with Apevia but I've owned 3 of them now in the past like 4 or 5 years and they all have worked amazingly.

So anyway I am building a new mutt pc using parts from this old one. here is what my new pc will have inside:

Mobo: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
CPU: AMD FX-4170 4.2ghz
RAM: 8gb(2x4gb) Gskill Ares
Video: Radeon HD 6950 2gb
HDD: 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Basically the only thing that I am changing is I am upgrading from an Athlon II X-4 635 2.9ghz to an FX-4170. I am also upgrading from 1333 ram to 1866 ram, same amount and brand and type though. Well the stuff I have is Ripjaws and the new stuff is Ares but other than that very close. Oh yeah and the mobo. My current one is a Gigabyte MA770t-UD3. You can find it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128451

So basically, will my current PSU be enough to power the new stuff? Also I had one more question. it is regarding the hard drive. I don't really know much about SATA and all that stuff, I just plug stuff in lol. Anyway upon looking I noticed that the new mobo I am buying as SATA 6gb/s and my hard drive is only 3gb/s. I am assuming that it will still work fine right? I mean its not like the hard drive is ever coming close to those speeds anyway no?
Mike Da Yooper is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-11-12, 06:53 PM   #2
Twiggz

Yes, that is enough power, you could probably power that just fine with 500W. Also SATA drives are backwards and forwards compatibile. So that HDD should work fine.

---Media Server---
Q6600 - G31M-S2L - 4GB DDR2 - Rosewill 750W - 80GB WD 2x1TB Seagate Raid0 - OnBoard Video - XBMCbuntu
Twiggz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-11-12, 07:23 PM   #3
Bobnova

*IF* that PSU can actually put out its rated power, you're fine.
Apevia has a rather bad (read: really lousy) reputation for exploding and killing hardware.

I would replace it at the earliest opportunity just on spec.

That said, your new CPU doesn't draw that much more than your old one, so if it was working before the odds are okish that it will continue to do so.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-11-12, 07:28 PM   #4
Twiggz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
*IF* that PSU can actually put out its rated power, you're fine.
Apevia has a rather bad (read: really lousy) reputation for exploding and killing hardware.

I would replace it at the earliest opportunity just on spec.

That said, your new CPU doesn't draw that much more than your old one, so if it was working before the odds are okish that it will continue to do so.
I was thinking about that, but didn't put much thought into it because he said it works well.

---Media Server---
Q6600 - G31M-S2L - 4GB DDR2 - Rosewill 750W - 80GB WD 2x1TB Seagate Raid0 - OnBoard Video - XBMCbuntu
Twiggz is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices