• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! i just shocked the sh*t out of my...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fushyuguru said:
It came out to roughly 8 or 9 minutes.
Interesting. I've always gone by the audible squeak of discharging caps. I always use a shorting probe just to be safe though. By all means, play it as safe as possible.

donny_paycheck said:

Interesting. I've always gone by the audible squeak of discharging caps. I always use a shorting probe just to be safe though. By all means, play it as safe as possible.

Yeah, the squeak I believe is something else. Ill ask one of the EE dinasaurs here at work about that.

Though you are right, be safe. I always leave it unpluged for 15 min just to be safe. Ive touched everything in a PSU after that 15 min and never even been tickled.

Speaking of this I awoke to a very strange sickly smell emenating from my monitor this morning. I took my Intel QX3 Digital Microscope, set it to 200x and looked in. A cockroach (i really dont know it was so charred) seemed to have shorted one of thye big caps in my monitor. I mean for gods sake it was still plugged in. Poor little guy.

Goronae said:
Speaking of this I awoke to a very strange sickly smell emenating from my monitor this morning. I took my Intel QX3 Digital Microscope, set it to 200x and looked in. A cockroach (i really dont know it was so charred) seemed to have shorted one of thye big caps in my monitor. I mean for gods sake it was still plugged in. Poor little guy.

mickeyowned.jpg

:D

this is kinda funny i remeber sticking my finger in the outlet for my dryer it through me thru the window i lost all feeling above my belly button for a few days it sucked drinking like that

thorilan said:
hehe this goes along the lines of no wetsanding your PSU while its plugged in

I use my dremal drill in the sink with water running on my work piece to prevent dust. I also once when I like 4 stuck my hand into a light with no bulb that was on and got shocked didn't leave any marks and didn't hurt, felt like your hand falling asleep in a blink of an eye and fell asleep for 2 minutes. Shouldn't I be dead now?

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Good to hear you're okay.

And I've done something about as stupid, but it didn't hurt as bad as yours. I was screwing around the insides of my Klipsch subwoofer (ProMedia 5.1......the amp was going bad, I was seeing if anything was going wrong) and for some reason I was playing this bizarre game of "Is This Still Hot?" :D

To sum it up: If you ever see a metal coil thing wrapped in some kind of yellow tape, DON'T TOUCH IT! :D That sucker zaps pretty hard.

That isn't a cap. That is a transformer, maybe it has a capcitor somewhere in the the line but you touched a harmless transformer. Also aren't your fat beats fat enough;) Stop overclocking your speakers:D!

This is the greatest thread, I swear! I've laughed my butt off readint through this thing. Good thing though is that it now makes me more cautious about messin with my computer. I always get tempted to plug stuff in while its running cuz I get too impatient to wait till my brother gets off dorky star wars galaxies. (which reminds me of 2 weeks ago when I turned my computer into a kiddy pool, stupid pump) (and it reminds me of when I was putting the expansion slot covers back into my case after I built this computer and I accidentally missed the little hole for the notch to go in and I touched something on my motherboard and it just shuts off (I got so scared)).

Anyways, a very quick and easy way to discharge the caps in your monitor is to turn it off and then pour gasoline on the monitor before you take it apart. (JUST KIDDING, DONT EVER DO THIS!)

Renigade said:
Anyways, a very quick and easy way to discharge the caps in your monitor is to turn it off and then pour gasoline on the monitor before you take it apart. (JUST KIDDING, DONT EVER DO THIS!)

That will short it good. Isn't gasoline a resistor, like water? So that only makes even better.:D :D :D :D :D :D

Well, skin effect dosn't actually work with humans, does it? I heard that most of the electricity will go through your veins, arteries, and nervous system, and travel through those instead of your skin or doing the skin effect.

And tesla coils work in the RF range, yes, but they're definitely not harmless... I know a guy who was messing with a tesla coil, making the streamers go through his fingers and stuff, and he said it only tingled a bit. Few hours later though, his hand started really hurting, and after a couple days his hand was all red and burnt-looking. RF-burns, he called it. Found out later that RF-frequency electricity like tesla coils causes tissue damage, but your nerves don't pick up on it right away. I personally wouldn't bet on skin effect or RF saving me...

You can definitely have high voltage go through your body safely if it's done right though. Like I have an ion generator, where if you touch the circuit ground, you can have a purple ion stream shoot out your fingers. It's around 5KV, but less than a milliamp, so it dosn't do any damage.

Glad to hear you're okay after that nasty shock. I zapped myself on an old TV's caps once, the shock threw me back and I blacked out for a minute. CRTs and TVs have scared me ever since.....

Right.... Um... Heh. Gotta be cateful with those caps. :D

Also, the actual CRT tube can act as a huge cap sometimes. (However, it's linked to the other caps, so shorting them should drain the tube too.)

RF burns, as they are called, can occur at a couple khz and up. They don't hurt instantly because nerve response drops gradually over 1Khz, just as your eyes can't see really fast stuff. It hurts like hell after a while, though, because your flesh is actually badly burned from it.... :D

And I live in NC too, by the way.... :D

Well, I live in Balsam Grove. If you've never heard of that, it's near Rosman. If you've never heard of that, it's near Brevard. If you've never heard of that, it's near Asheville. If you've never heard of that.... then you can't be from NC. :D

I actually live in the western part of the state, 1.5 hrs drive to Asheville. At local-folks speeds. At Floridiot speeds, it's a 4 hr drive. No offense to any people from Florida. It's just the old people that CAN'T FREAKIN DRIVE that are annoying. They come up in the summer and drive 20 or 25 up the curvy roads, instead of the "local speed" of 55-60. I mean, I only have my learner's permit, but I can drive way better than these people! AAGH...

all of the places i read said that taking apart the monitor to 'modify it' are not worth it...as just that kinda thing will happen...lol glad ur okay though ^_^

btw: i woulda called 911 and asked them if u could drive or not, because, well, you coulda collapsed or seizured while driving, prolly

2 things come to mind.....

1.To discharge the caps on a monitor board - just use a wet towel and drop it in it.

2.To get fast service at a ER just say you are having chest pain(heart attack).

I just had to "renew" this 4-5 month old thread, i nearly ****ed my pants reading the first page or two of posts.....first time I saw "rofl" and actually believed it...

Oh my god, attack of the necro:
necro.jpg

Actually, this is one of the funniest threads on this forum, even though it was a serious matter.

to all that said they were too afraid to paint their monitor

WIMPS!
muahaha

no but seriously
take it slow, be careful and you wont have any problems
i've painted 2 monitors so far, and they look brilliant
going to be re-painting one for my zelda case too...
oops gave away a secret :D

Back