• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2900xt price drop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
these cards aren't worth more than 179 with the 8800GT on the market, except to those who already own one and need a second for their CF setup

well, I'd say $179 is a tiny bit unrealistic.... $249 is probably about right

it's unrealistic because high-end parts only drop to a certain price point and then they stop, so I know it'll never drop that low in price unless you're browsing on ebay or something

but i said it isn't WORTH more than 179, figuring the 8800 GT is rumored to drop to 199, and its much faster than the 2900XT in most games

so answer this, why would you pay more money for an inferior product (besides completing a crossfire setup)?

it's unrealistic because high-end parts only drop to a certain price point and then they stop, so I know it'll never drop that low in price unless you're browsing on ebay or something

but i said it isn't WORTH more than 179, figuring the 8800 GT is rumored to drop to 199, and its much faster than the 2900XT in most games

so answer this, why would you pay more money for an inferior product (besides completing a crossfire setup)?

The GT will drop to $199? that would be insane...when is that supposed to happen?

The GT will drop to $199? that would be insane...when is that supposed to happen?

The 8800GT? That's not "insane". The damned thing is already $240 and it just came out. It would only take one rebate to put it down at 200 bucks. That could happen as early as christmas.

No... The $295 I spent on the 8800GTS 640 (and the free upgrade I'm getting to the next revision) was insane...

I remember reading somewhere that the 8800GT will drop to $199 pretty soon, when the new 8800GTS comes out (and maybe after ATI comes out with something, i think)

The 8800GT? That's not "insane". The damned thing is already $240 and it just came out. It would only take one rebate to put it down at 200 bucks. That could happen as early as christmas.

No... The $295 I spent on the 8800GTS 640 (and the free upgrade I'm getting to the next revision) was insane...

Wow, with the free upgrade to the new revision that is pretty insane :)

IDK, I just think that $199 for that performance is pretty awesome. I sure hope I can get my hands on $199 when it's available.

i'd say lower the price to 200 bucks and the 2900XT would be priced correctly in terms of performance.

Completly agree with this. And I love the part about priced in terms of performance. That cards price has never been justified in my mind, but 200 bucks would make it a good buy. Well, actually not really if the 8800gt drops to the same price.

Is there a bargain bin for cards, similar to games?

I think $350 will be the right price for it. I have a single HD2900 PRO (1gb ddr4)flashed to XT and overclock to 840 mhz.
I paid $349 for it and I think it was the right price for it.(although when it just came out it was $300 adn I waited to long)
But you should also consider that I sold my two MSI 8600 GTS (which I ran in SLI in my DFI machine) and then I got this one for 30 bucks more. So it was not a bad deal after all. This single card beats easily the performance of the two 8600's. Bioshock can be played max out in all settings on the single HD2900 but on the two 8600's it will hang. Now if you compared it to a single 8800GTS which droped in price to under $300 for a 320mb version I think is a matter of how big your monitor is and how high of a resolution you can run on it. I have a Sansung 24" at 1920 X 1200 and the HD2900 XT is a better card for it since I don't need 16 or 8 X AA with 2 or 4 X AA I do just fine and the HD2900 is much faster and has better picture quality. Another good point is that crossfire does not required same cards and the new HD 2900GT is only 169.99 at newegg so if I decided that I need more power next year I won't need to drop another $350 on a second card I'll wait until the 2900GT is around $100.
So the bottom line in my opinion is that less than $300 for this card today is just total bullocks and you can stop the bull**** about the Nvidia 8800GT or GTS cards being a better card than this one.
Get a 24 or even a 30 inch monitor and then you wont need to have 16 X AA turn on and you'll enjoy a better picture with the HD 2900.
I think people talk to much from reading out the specs in reviews and not from using the actual hardware.

Back