• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Desktop and Server Mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
5/1/2014: Check the thread summary for quick links!!

So, as some of you know, I am planning an Air 540 build for the desktop.
Along with this, the server will be receiving some upgrades.
This is where updates for both of them will go.

So, the plans for the desktop are:
-Corsair Air 540
-Custom Water Loop
-Sleeved PSU
-Add GPU and second radiator (this will be after everything else is done)

Plans for the server:
-Move to the NZXT M59 (need more HDD space)
-Set up 4x2TB RAID5 array (I'm running out of space :cry:)

Here's the most current water loop plans:
Water Loop.jpg

But, today, I took the first step.
I ordered a second set of cables for my OCZ PSU, so that I can sleeve them without taking the computer down.
Along with that was some love for Nils and MDPC! Ordered the sleeving from him this afternoon! :D
Sleeving.jpg

That's all for now, but expect this to be updated soon with my sleeving progress!

Last edited:
Man, we've had a ton of snow...
But, I have ordered the case :D

Updates on the other parts, Nils shipped out the sleeving same-day. So, shout-out to him there!

Also, Amazon started charging sales tax in my state. Would have used Prime to get the case here sooner, but not worth $11 more to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea atm, the snow here in the southeast has been awful!!
where are you in north carolina? I'm in georgia about 50 miles north of atlanta.

where are you in north carolina? I'm in georgia about 50 miles north of atlanta.

I'm in Charlotte, on the eastern side. Really close to I-485.
I got off work early on Tuesday, then was off work Wednesday through Friday because of this mess. Luckily I'm salary at the job I just started :D

We got ~10" of snow, then ~0.5" of ice (from sleet/freezing rain) on top. :shock:

we got hit with the same storm, we got the snow and sleet here but the freezing rain went to the south and north of us so we were spared that.
I like the Charlotte/concord area, we drag the cars up to cms three of four time a year, wonderful spring and summer weather. A close friend ownes a good chunk of property around mnt Holly and we drag out the big guns and heavy booze and go us a shootin once or twice a year.

Since I finally (thanks to the snow) got the RAID controller in the mail, and I have the desktop's new case on the way, I was looking for HDDs.

Newegg had a $10 discount per drive on these today, free shipping, so I bit.

These are going in RAID5. Going to be nice to not be running out of space any more.

HDDs.jpg

Got my "replacement" cables in the mail today!
What's pictured is what I'll be sleeving. ATX, CPU, and 2x PCIe cables.
All the other cables (SATA, SATA power) are black already, so I wasn't going to do anything with them.

I need to go get a heat gun before the sleeving/heatshrink gets here.

Cables.jpg

Its hereeeeeeee!

Probably going to migrate the desktop into this case tomorrow.
I'll definitely get more pics when everything is moved.

Air 540 White.jpg

I stopped at Michael's and picked up some paint. I'll its for the case, but I'll keep this a bit of a surprise ;)

Also, the manager at our Michael's asked what I was doing with this paint (its $12/can) and I explained the build.
Turns out they love building computers as well, so they gave me a baller discount on it :D
So shoutout to the University area Michael's in Charlotte!

Paint.jpg

Last edited:
Interested to see what you're going to do, I'm still considering doing a weird water loop in the relatively near future.

Have always been an air guy, but I'm pondering things.

Interested to see what you're going to do, I'm still considering doing a weird water loop in the relatively near future.

Have always been an air guy, but I'm pondering things.

I have too, but I figure its about time for me to do it.
I know enough about it already lol.

I'm in Charlotte, on the eastern side. Really close to I-485.
I got off work early on Tuesday, then was off work Wednesday through Friday because of this mess. Luckily I'm salary at the job I just started :D

We got ~10" of snow, then ~0.5" of ice (from sleet/freezing rain) on top. :shock:

we got hit with the same storm, we got the snow and sleet here but the freezing rain went to the south and north of us so we were spared that.
I like the Charlotte/concord area, we drag the cars up to cms three of four time a year, wonderful spring and summer weather. A close friend ownes a good chunk of property around mnt Holly and we drag out the big guns and heavy booze and go us a shootin once or twice a year.

Lol, you southerners :p

Kidding, it's very unusual for you guys to get snow eh? (I heard that there's no slow plows down there?)

Anyways, nice build ATMINSIDE :thup:
May I ask what the server will do? (Storage server?)

Lol, you southerners :p

Kidding, it's very unusual for you guys to get snow eh? (I heard that there's no slow plows down there?)

Anyways, nice build ATMINSIDE :thup:
May I ask what the server will do? (Storage server?)

We almost never get snow, especially in the ~10" range.
There are snow plows, but very few of them, and poorly equipped.

Thanks, it'll definitely be continuing :D

The server is four Minecraft servers, TF2 server, TS3 server, and storage.
I'm going to be setting up SSH or SAMBA to be able to do network backups with Clonezilla.

We almost never get snow, especially in the ~10" range.
There are snow plows, but very few of them, and poorly equipped.

Thanks, it'll definitely be continuing :D

The server is four Minecraft servers, TF2 server, TS3 server, and storage.
I'm going to be setting up SSH or SAMBA to be able to do network backups with Clonezilla.

Minecraft! :thup:

Too bad my 270x gets around 90 FPS :shock: with drops to 40 FPS! :shrug:
That and huge latency 700ms+ :p

So, um, UPS finally showed up!

HDDs :D
HDDs_Arrived.jpg

PERC 6/i (sorry Thiddy, I got a killer deal)
RAID Controller.jpg

Incoming Wall-O-Pictures

I started the teardown and case migration last night! The Air 540 is a joy to build in compared to other towers in the "mid tower" range.

Here's the last shot of the towers together.

Last Shot Sitting.jpg

And before tearing out of the M59.

Final M59 Desktop.jpg

Final M59 Desktop Open.jpg

Got the (not 4x2TB) HDDs put in. One of the best mounting systems I've used, even if it isn't space efficient.

Air HDDs Installed.jpg

Got the PSU in, I love it being hidden away like this.

PSU Installed.jpg

And while I had parts out, I decided to do some glamour shots :D

770 Glamor Front.jpg

770 Glamor Rear.jpg

Sniper Glamor.jpg

And then I got tired, so I stopped here.

End of night one.jpg

M59 will be the next case I buy :thup:
Looks soooo sweet :thup:

Discontinued.

That said, I loved mine, but this Air 540 is miles better.
Cooling, WC compatibility, cable management, build quality.

All way better than the M59. Its a great budget case, but I won't be building in budget cases anymore (if I can help it).

Since I finally (thanks to the snow) got the RAID controller in the mail, and I have the desktop's new case on the way, I was looking for HDDs.

Newegg had a $10 discount per drive on these today, free shipping, so I bit.

These are going in RAID5. Going to be nice to not be running out of space any more.

View attachment 139788

Do those work well with RAID controllers? Last time I looked at RAID, I was under the impression that the green drives are bad if they spin down...

Also if you have classifieds access, there are 2TB hard drives for sale (15 of them, and they were used in a RAID configuration before).

Back