• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dr. Pepper Vs. PC Round 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FoldingAddict

Intel Fanboy
A friend of recently posted on Facebook that he dumped half a can of Dr. Pepper into the top of his machine. I went to his house and got some more specifics. He said the machine did NOT immediately shut down, he manually shut it down. He made his own attempts to dry the hardware out (no specifics on what his attempts were), put it back together, now it doesn't post. I told him he likely did more damage to it turning it on the second time than dumping the Dr. Pepper in the first place as it likely was not sufficiently cleaned up and dried out.

I got the machine home and needless to say it is mfing DISGUSTING. Sticky, dusty, mess. The custom loop is approximately 5 years old and has NEVER been emptied/cleaned/refilled. He did state that he has never had overheating issues. He said he knows for sure that Dr. Pepper got on the motherboard, RAM, and GPU.

To my question: I have a plan of attack on this in mind but curious what others would try. My idea is completely disassemble everything and 99% IPA the **** out of it. Ditch the loop completely and switch to air cooling as he's not capable of maintaining the loop on his own.

Specs I believe are 7700K, Asus Hero IX, 32GB Corsair/Gskill DDR4, GTX 1070, Silverstone PSU unknown wattage at this time.

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Never use my dishwasher, not sure how, think it's 30 years old I wouldn't trust it not to melt something.

30, eh... young wife... nice! :p :rofl:

Same way you would with dishes... just no soap and warm water.

Did that several times back in the day trying to get Vaseline off from extreme cooling sessions. Worked like a charm.

Otherwise, yeah, it's a manual thing (high % IPA is good)..and who even knows if something isn't borked after. Dishwasher.... its already dead, lol...save yourself a lot of time and effort.

Turned out all hardware was fine except the motherboard. Trashed the PSU by default cause I'm not messing with the inside of that. Actually technically the motherboard maybe wasn't toast from the Dr. Pepper. He tried to clean it all up himself and in doing so bent 4 CPU socket pins lol.

If the pins aren't too bent, you might have a shot at rescuing it. Tweezers and a magnifying glass and a steady hand. Don't touch the sides or "Bzzzzzzz!" :rofl: Nah just kidding,
but yeah, you can try and reset the pins back. I mean at this point what do you have to lose now, right?

Can you post a pic of the socket with the bent pins?

Yeah, as long as the pins are simply bent and not kinked that's a fairly straight forward fix. You can "fix a kink" too but going into detail is outside the realm of OCF...

I haven't tried it but supposedly using an empty mechanical pencil works well for fixing bent CPU pins.

If the pins aren't too bent, you might have a shot at rescuing it. Tweezers and a magnifying glass and a steady hand. Don't touch the sides or "Bzzzzzzz!" :rofl: Nah just kidding,
but yeah, you can try and reset the pins back. I mean at this point what do you have to lose now, right?

Can you post a pic of the socket with the bent pins?

Yeah I have no doubt I could fix the socket, I just didn't want to. Not worth my time fixing a 7 year old board that may also have other major issues and likely difficult to diagnose gremlins. Already trashed it so can't post a picture.

Back